[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX 98-32

GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 98-32, July 16, 1998

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 949: WBCQ plans to test in August;
Brother Stair drops German relays; WSB demolishing White Columns;
R. Free Vinyl; Tampa pirate sentenced; FM from Abaco; English
from Colombia; Mauritius' SW plans; V. of Sudan includes English;
more money for BBC WS; R. Prague doubling transmitters; R. Free
Belarus planned; Afghanistan bans TV equipment; Tahiti gone from
SW again; Tasmanian pirate; background to RNZI cuts; and most of
the stories below. For a more complete topic list see our website
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio and click on 949 (Hauser)

WORLD OF RADIO ON WNQM, 1300, NASHVILLE. Currently scheduled on
WWCR's AM outlet, Sat 2:55 am CDT = 0755 UT; and temporarily
also at 4:55 am = 0955 UT; however, Robert Searfoss in Atlanta
heard WOR at 6:30 am EDT = 1030 UT Sat July 11 on 1300. In July
WWCR goes to daytime power of 50 kW at 1045 UT. Others not too
far from Nashville might try for these (Hauser)

ANGUILLA. Here's why the Caribbean Beacon is seldom heard any
more on MW 1610. A visitor to the island heard them announcing
that power is at most 9 kW. This is not even enough to reach the
other end of the island at night with a clear signal where
skywave interferes with groundwave (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO
949)

BELARUS. R. Minsk, external service, new sked replacing 0400-0600
to Europe is at 0100-0300 on 7210 and 11670, so at this time is
it now to NAm? Also to Eu 1900-2100 on 7210, 11960. English: 0200
M/W/F/S/S; 1930 & 2030 T & T (PanIview, Bulgaria, July 3)

UT Mon July 13 during the 0100 hour I found France on 11670, hams
dominating 7210; France ended about 0155, and then there was
something on 11670 past 0200, but buried in splash from the huge
Arab on 11675 so I couldn't even be sure of the language (Glenn
Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 949)

CANADA. Thought you'd like to see the new RCI QSL card--the first
new one since 1995 (Bill Westenhaver, July 3)
It's a glossy color photo of two mounted Mounties flanking the
parliament clock tower, for the 125th anniversary of the RCMP =
GRC (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

CHILE. Well, La Voz Cristiana is now, in fact, announcing four
frequencies simultaneously, and I can confirm three of them.  At
about 1540 this morning, they announced 21550, 21500, 17680 and
9635.  21550 and 21500 are both heard well, though 21550 has the
stronger signal.  17680 is fairly strong, but it has a nasty
buzz, reminiscent of some of the old R. Moscow transmitters.
Nothing heard on 9635, though it is reasonable to think that that
transmitter may be on the air, and not propagating from Chile.
So, more so-called Christian Radio.  One wonders why each of
these stations act as if they are the only one giving the
message!  Actually, La Voz has some fairly nice music, and you
don't have to bother paying attention to the words.
(Tim Hendel, AL, July 13, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

CUBA. I heard RHC on 13605 past 0500 July 14, very distorted, and
causing splatter which almost covered the entire 22 meter band.
I sent an E-mail to Arnie this morning. I'll let you know what he
says when I hear from him (Ivan Grishin, Ont., WORLD OF RADIO 949)

FRANCE [non]. During the World Crap finale, I tuned around to see
how much live coverage of it there was on SW, July 12 at 1916+ :
Greece in Greek on 17705, 17765; BBC WS in English on 17830,
15400; REE in Spanish on 15125, 15110, 11815; DW in German on
17860; checked several Brazil and France frequencies, but
nothing! Unless some weak French on 11995 which unseemed play-by-
play was this. I understand that afterwards the French were
elated and the Brazilians depressed - millions of people actually
think this matters! Mass insanity. BTW, for those unfamiliar with
my stance on mass spectator sports, I am not being a provincial
American about this, as I am no less contemptuous of American
football, baseball, basketball, hockey, car racing, etc. (Glenn
Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

INTERNATIONAL WATERS [and non]. A book-in-progress on the web
about his hero, Freeborn John Lilburne, by John England also
deals with offshore radio, and his experiences with Allan Weiner
at: http://www.freebornjohn.net (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 949)

MONGOLIA. VOM marginally audible July 14 on 12085 at 1226 check
but instead of Mailbag like last Tuesday had Chinese-style
military band music mixed with interview (Glenn Hauser, OK)

NEW ZEALAND. I arrived back Sunday to be greeted with the final
detail of the financial cuts we are to suffer. A brief summary
for you - From August we expect.......Our large staff of 12 will
reduce to 9. Dedicated programmes for the South Pacific Islands
will be reduced from 11 to 5 hours daily at Pacific breakfast
time. Domestic radio will fill the gap. Transmission hours will
be cut by 2 hours - closing at 1010 UT instead of 1205 UT. The
future of Mailbox has yet to be decided (Adrian Sainsbury, RNZI,
July 13, WORLD OF RADIO 949)

NEW ZEALAND. Quick check of 11690 after 0500 July 13 found some
Spanish, but not English, making me wonder if RNZI had moved off
to avoid Voz Cristiana; not found on some other likely channels.
And at 1158 the 6100 sked announcement still included 11690.
Mailbox was not on this week either, but City Talk Mon at 0430
on 17675, 1130 on 6100 (Glenn Hauser, OK)

NEW ZEALAND. I heard RNZI with a good signal on 11690 at their
switch-over time of 0459 July 14. I did not hear Voz Cristiana
on 11690 at 0500 July 14.  New Zealand was loud and clear.
(Ivan Grishin, Ont., REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

Once again on July 16 at 0500, RNZI 11690 had heavy co-channel
from Spanish music, presumably Voz Cristiana, Chile as before;
the two are about 1 Hz apart, producing a heavy beat as well
(Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

NIGERIA [non]. The Yoruba show Monday July 13 at 2100 on WHRA
15460 mixed English with other language segments, including an
announcement from Amnesty International calling for investigation
into death in custody of previous political prisoners; and in
general it seems they are still suspicious about Abiola's death.
The Yoruba words for "1993" are "nineteen ninety-three". One
would think out of ethnic pride they would figure out a way to
express such large numbers without defaulting to English (Glenn
Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

UKRAINE. I haven't seen anyone mention that Ukraine has not been
heard for a few weeks now, at 2100, 0000 or 0300 on 9550/12040
(Ivan Grishin, Ont., July 13, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

###