[HCDX]: Many questions, one reply

Thanks to anyone for suggestions & encouragement, I
would try to answer the many questions posed about MP3 files.

"Why MP3? ". I have more than one answer:

1) MP3 files are remarkably smaller than .wav or .au files. Bigger files
means longer times for download and requires a HUGE web space.

2) Most MP3 players & encoders are shareware or even freeware. Hermod
Peteresen wrote that a lot of people "do not wish to use all and every
plugin the Internet seems to demand". That's an opinion that can be
shared, but it's also true that not everyone wants to pay for the
software  needed (and Real Audio, at first sight a very good choice,
is no more a shareware software). So I had to compromise.

In the main page of IDs Warehouse you can find links redirecting your
browsers to a page devoted to mp3 players for almost every platform:
windows, mac, unix and even solaris (!!!).

3) Many MP3 players offers nice options, i.e. a good working equaliser.
Real Audio doesn't have this tool.

4) MP3 files can be decoded into .wav files, so that they can be handled
i.e. with Cool Edit (using these tools needs time & patience, of course)

These are the reasons of my choice.

Hermod, in a private mail (forgive me for this lack of
privacy :->), wrote also:

>"I find most of your ID's a little too noisy for my taste. You
>can hardly hear a darn thing, and then they are of little use.

>However, this will change in a due time. If you keep it up, which indeed
I hope,  you should be able to get better recordings on most of these
stations.

That's an accurate remark. My recordings are not the best possible in
quality (some are perfect noise samples ;-P), they're actually available
on the web just to show what could be available to everyone with a little
help. My aim is not to put on the web *my personal* archive, but to build
*our* DX ID archive. I think that many others have better recordings, the
problem is figuring an easy way to get them out and present them to
others.

We have some web space and maybe a new powerful toy for our hobby;
I will try to make it work at its best, but please, be patient...time is a
critical factor for me too!! ;-)

That's all (I hope).
Have a nice summer
Renato
r.bruni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.mediasuk.org/ids/

PS) More (hi-fi dx) IDs will be added in the next days.