Re: [HCDX]: excellent DX-night

-----Pùvodní zpráva-----
Od: Hermod Pedersen <hermod.pedersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Komu: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: 28. srpna 1998 18:05
Pøedmìt: Re: [HCDX]: excellent DX-night

>Great list this, as this interesting info confirms the theory that solar
>storms gives excellent signals from countries around the Equator (probably
>due to the fact that most other signals are severely affected by the storm,
>leaving more space for low latitude signals).

Hi,
I heard and read several times that signals from south become better because
the signals from northern latitudes disappear during the storm (here in the
northern hemisphere), but I do not think it is so. The signals simply "gain
power" and are much stronger than usual. It happens of course also on
channels where is no interference from "northern" stations.
There is a theory of a "positive phase of the storm" which starts just
before the storm starts. This theory was supported by the development we
could monitor on August 27. Excellent signals especially from Latin America
have been observed on several places in Europe during the night of Aug 26/27
(UTC), just before the storm started at around 0400 UTC.
The whole development depends very much on many aspects and it is very
difficult to make predictions. I am quite interested in this area. Many of
my predictions already failed, especially when I alerted my DX-friends in
advance. Quite a number of predictions was OK, mostly when my friends were
not sitting at their receivers because they expected the prediction to fail
again :-)

What is my experience: excellent conditions usually do not repeat the next
day/night.

GOOD DX,

Karel Honzik,
the Czech Republic,