Re: [HCDX]: NRD-545

A Side Note To Computer Aided DXing:

I'm surprised to find so many DXer's interested in using their PC's to
control their SW rigs. I find that operation of my PC, even without any
connection to my 535D, creates so much RF noise that it makes DXing
impossible. While it is true that the PC is plugged into a 2-wire
ungrounded electric circuit, I find it hard to beleive that adding the
chassis ground would help that much. Am I mistaken? My QTH here in
northern Vermont is fairly quiet electrically. The nearest neighbor is
over 400 meters away. The main power line is about 100 meters away. I'm
used to listening with low noise levels. With the PC turned on, the
noise on the bands becomes impossible.

I guess my questions are: Do most of you have the increase in PC
generated noise and live with it because the advantages of the PC
outweigh the increased noise? Is the increased noise not noticeable at
your QTH because you are already in a noisy DXing environment? Have you
engineered your ground system so that the PC truly does not present a
noise problem at all?

Mark Mohrmann
Coventry, Vt. USA
mohrmannm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx