Re: [HCDX]: Re: Beverages

Hello Aart.

I think many dxers....and spesially those that dx on the mediumwave,consider 1
wavelength as a beverage antenna...even if if its calculated for the middle of the
MW...300000/100=300 meter.But to cover the entire MW,starting from the lower MW ex.
500 khz...such a antenna would be 600 meter....and there are of course some that
have that space to erect such a antenna....but very few have that space at their
homeplace!

But such a antenna is also 2 wavelengths for 1000 khz....and 3 wavelengths for 1500
khz....which would be a real "signal snatcher".....
If you the chance to put up a 100 meter or even a 200 meter antenna..do it...!

If also the area is slooping downhills against the continent you want to listen
to...the better.
And of course,the antenna should point in the direction you decide to listen to.

If  the terrain goes upwards (just like the area I have...unfortunately enough) this
is the poorest alternative to erect antennas...even this way you can hear
signals...but the hills will block the horizon...if you have steep hills.
The second alternative is erecting from the top of the hill downwards...and finally
the third alternative,
which is the best...just a little below the hilltop and downwards..but not to steep.

The more antenna wire you lay out f.ex. 3-4-500 meter,the more directivity the
antenna gets.
If you're planning to go on a mobile dx-pedition using these antennas...try to find
a place where there is NO manmade noise...power lines...street
lights..factorys..etc...

You can of course experiment with the easy way...just laying out the wire and
connect it directly to the receiver.
The other method......which demands more time and of course work....is connecting a
resistor (range 390-560 ohm would do fine) between the far end of the antenna and
ground...which could consist of 5 copper rods into the ground.
In this way the antenna would have more directivity effects....and if you decided to
go even further on developing your antenna...you can connect the antenna (end
nearest to receiver)to a balun..also here you can have you own ground system...the
feed in,could be of coaxial cable (RG58 C/U),
connected to the receiver.
Also you can try experimenting laying on the ground...or hanging it up on poles or
trees...but do get a sufficent height...there could be people walking
around......and you would get your story too...if it isn't high enough!!!

Well.......it all depends on experimenting....with different lengths.....and so
on..........I would say it the following way:
If you can get up a antenna in the length of  2-300 meters ...you'll get better
results on MW!!

Should you need more help...I sure would like to help you out..as good as I can.

73's

Alf Aardal