Re: [HCDX]: Re: Beverages

At 21.53 20.1.1999 +0100, you wrote:
>Fellow DX-ers,
>I have been reading with some interest the stories about Beverage antennas.
>Compared to elk, snakes, etc, life is rather dull here, with nothing
bigger than
>a sparrow resting on my antenna, or a mouse or an occasional rat wandering
>through my garden (at the border of a small SW German city, no chance to
get up
>anything close to a true long wire)
>My question is maybe a bit stupid, but from what length on does a "normal"
long
>wire become a directional Beverage ? 0.5, 1.0 or 2.0 wavelength, or even
more ?
>I have no experience whatsoever with such long wires (15 m is all I can
get at
>my neigborhood), and I was planning some mobile AM-DX (daytime to start
with)
>from my car up in the Black Forest mountains, just in my backyard so to
speak.
>(sorry, no elk or dangerous snakes there either, so do not expect good
stories).
>I have now prepared some 100m of wire to use, but this is still much less
than
>1.0 wavelength for mediumwave. I have no clue if this already gives some
>directionality. In principle I can extend the wire at will. I have located a
>parking place where I would be able to lay a few 100m out (direction
west). But
>thinking of re-winding it again, I do not want to overdo things.
>Any experience ?

	In my mind 200 metres already gives some directionality. But don't expect
wonders, a Beverage/long-wire is never VERY directional (cannot be compared
with loop antennas in that respect)!
	One other possibility is to put 50-100 metres to the OPPOSITE of the
desired station. Such antennas are easier to collect away when you are
tired in the morning! If you go to listen in the car for a day or for some
hours, I really wouldn't care about coaxial cables, baluns or even far-end
groundings, unless the antenna ends on a very moisty soil. But try to find
a place as far as possible from "civilization" (man-made noise).

73, Mauno