[HCDX]: Unid French station on 1440

Dear all,
Last night, 0300-0345 (fade out) I heard a French speaking station on 1440 kHz,
reception fair, but with kind of echo effect. S/on apparently at 0300 (just
missed it). Just talk, no music. In the beginning it was well dominating Saudi
Arabia on same channel (islamic chants). Later on, strength declined, fading out
around 0345.
I have no French speaking station there in my list, except R. Luxembourg.
However, that should come in much stronger here. Also no french speaking station
from Canada here in my lists. Only other possibility would be Bangui, Central
Afr. Rep. However, they should s/on only at 0430. I tried to check //5035, but
found too little signal there (if any) to make a comparison.
Any ideas ?

By the way : Funny conditions last night. Around 0200-0300 I got 1500 WTOP, 1510
WNRB, both with decent signal. Also weak American on 1690 (WMDM ?) and weak
Spanish speaking station on 1700 (almost sure this was WCMQ).
Signals peaked 0230 (just audible, got no ID) and disappeared completely
just after that.
A Index was 15 (!) (TA conditions on northerly path expected to be very poor.)
If I had known that, I would not even have bothered to leave my warm bed to try
for NA stations. This experience shocked my faith in the predictive value of the
A Index.

Regards,
Aart Rouw
Bühl, (SW) Germany