Re: [HCDX]: 500 pf. Variable capacitor

-----Original Message-----
From: Jari Lehtinen <jln@xxxxxx>
To: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, January 29, 1999 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: [HCDX]: 500 pf. Variable capacitor

>Winter Monges wrote:
>>I need a 500 pf. variable capacitor, I cannot find it.
>>Can any one help me to obtain one? I will pay the cost.
>

>Me too!!
>
>Somehow in the middle of 1990's 500 pF variables
>gradually disappeared in shops. Can it really be so,
>that nobody manufactures them anymore?
>Sure, antique radios still got them, but who would
>like to destroy them just because of one component!
>
>The extinction of 500 pF variables is very unfortunate,
>as almost every practical antenna matching unit and
>mediumwave preselector unit schema we have around
>are built around this crucial component.

Why not use a variable cap of a smaller value, say 375 pF and switch in a
fixed cap (when required) to bring the overall value up to 500pF or there
abouts? This method works for me and I can now tune from below 500 Khz up to
1600 Khz on my Loop. If you can obtain a variable cap with two ganged
sections of say 300 pF then you can parallel the two to get up to 600 pF and
then switch out the one section to get lower values of perhaps 40 or 50 pF.
This method has also worked fine for me.

Vince