Sv: [HCDX]: DXing & Copyright

> Per-Ole Stenman, Jakobstad, Finland:
> Also to copy items without stating the source. I think it's on one side a
> technical problem, news items are floating around through the small
> DX-magazines and it is impossible to state all the sources and via
sources
> etc.

No it isn't!  It is THE important thing .. to state the orginal source
(including the DATE !!!!!!!) as well as the intermediate source.

Otherwise you are not paying due credit and you risk ending up with some
very old items, which are not news-worthy anymore.

Unfortunately few care to act in a decent manner. Many DX-magazines will
limit it's credits to  for instance "DXW", "Cumbre" "DX-news" - and nothing
more. They dont give a damn about who reported for DXW or Cumbre etc.  Not
even when DXW or Cumbre or whatever publication are using material from
another source.

One example:

DX'er Mr. NN notice a new Peruvian on XX kHz, and is the first to log the
station. Mr. NN reports this to Hard Core DX.

This news item is then published in DWN with due credit to Mr. NN.

But then - a few weeks (or months) later - it is published in Radiomaailma.
And then the credit is given to DXW - and that's it.

No credit to Mr. NN. No credit to HCDX and not even a date so you have an
idea as to WHEN this new Peuvian was detected.

Now this is just annoying. Thats the way some DX'ers behave, and there's
not much to do against this.

And some DX'ers in this group immediately come out and say who unimportant
this is. They will say "get a life" and "its only fun" etc etc.

Even though radio is a hobby for most of the persons subscribing to HCDX a
few of us is trying to make a living out of radio.  (Not DX'ing though ...
hi!)

I have been publishing a handbook on Danish radiostations for a number of
years. It takes me 2 or 3 months to compile the handbook and the
information is not compiled by anyone else in Denmark or elsewhere - but me
(except the music copyright companies). The details are NOT available from
official sources and even the Danish Ministry of Culture rely on my
information.  My handbook is also constantly a matter of "thefts". The
German ADDX stole a large part of the information I have compiled  for
their FM handbook "UKW-Almanach" without giving me ANY credit.  Recently a
Danish radiostation has been using my handbook for their homepage.

Yes I could call my lawyer and spend some ten thousends of DKK to have this
stopped. I did so in 1990 when a Danish daily newspaper, Politiken,
published parts of my book without giving any credit. I won the courtcase,
which lasted two years and which cost me a lot of time and effort. So did I
get a big compensation? Oh yes I got a good deal of money from the
courtcase .. but this was not enough to pay my lawyer. So I ended up
loosing money.

So that the way it goes.

Stig Hartvig Nielsen

I think this is the problem. In several DX-magazines and elsewhere the
editors dont give a damn about giving due credit to the original source.

The Finnish magazine "Radiomaailma" is a typical example of this.

Take the February issue of Radiomaailma. Here's a few examples: