Re: [HCDX]: Log from South Africa

>This morning (19/2) a few USA stations were audible above 1500 Khz with
fair
>signals, as good a spell as any in the last few months. The interesting
>thing was that the Solar Flux and A-index were very high at the time (168 &
>63) with minor storm conditions. These figures were totally contrary to
what
>I would have expected - maybe the storm was causing the fairly good
>Trans-Atlantic reception. Maybe a wiser soul (than me) can provide a few
>theories?!
>Regards to All
>Vince, Cape Town

Vince,
it is a pity that you do not specify the stations you heard. I would suppose
that you heard stations from the southern part of the east coast (of the
U.S.) and nothing from Canada, right?
We, here in central Europe, have much more difficult position, because
signals from the U.S. and Canada come via higher northern paths, that run
thru the auroral ring absorption area. That is why the band was free of
transatlantic stations on that night of February 19, which you mention (and
as much as I could watch it).

GOOD DX,

Karel Honzik,
the Czech Republic