[HCDX]: RE: date and time format comments

[HCDX]: RE: date and time format comments

> Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 22:43:16 +1300
> From: Chris Mackerell <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [HCDX]: International standards on Time - and Log Formats
>
> Hi Greg
>
> Its been a few years since COBOL was an international
> standard hasn't it ;-)

	[Bob Foxworth]  It may be coming back this year!!

> Being a bit of an amateur astromonmer, and a webmaster
> trying to sort out Y2K problems, I'd definitely look
> at a better date format than YYMMDD!!!
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

	[Bob Foxworth]  I think you mean YYYYMMDD which I strongly recommend
	be used to avoid the century issue..programmers have used YYMMDD for
a long time as it sorts logically, and when you see the year first, there is
(should be!) no ambiguity as to MMDD or DDMM ("American" vs. "European"
method)

> Greg Baker wrote:
> >
> > I would prefer to have all time read in HHMM format, with a
> one-character
> > readout for the time zone.  Similarly, I also think dates should be in
> > YYMMDD format, which is neither the American nor European manner, but
> makes
> > a lot of sense when you're sorting files.
> >
> > I don't CARE if it's called UTC or TUC, or Fred Standard Time, as long
> as we
> > all understand about of what we talk.

	[Bob Foxworth]
	It is called "UTC" (and not CUT) for Universal Time, Coordinated
(Temps Universelle Coordinee, in French) to identify the fact, as I
understand it, that it is a synthesis of UT0 (the base value) corrected by
UT1 and UT2 which insert slight corrections (small parts of a second) to the
base value to account for subtle effects such as the spin wobble of the
Earth. To the casual user, UTC = GMT (if the corrections are not applied).
People using things like cesium-beam clocks have to use the corrected
values, which were I believe undetectable with traditional astronomy-based
methods. You can track down the RFC for Network Time Protocol rfc-1305 which
contains a chapter on the  history of timekeeping, it can be found at such
as ds.internic.net or cis.ohio-state.edu ... though it's been a while since
I read it over