[HCDX]: Allied Voice 1003 kHz (Serbia)

Already known: Radio station called "Allied Voice" broadcasts in Serbian
from airplane on 1003 kHz, 3 FM frequencies  and 1 TV channel (21) for
people of Serbia, Yugoslavia. The plane flies 6000 m (18000 ft) high and the
MW transmitter has 10 kW.

I heard the station for the first time yesterday, April 25, between
1000-1320 UTC sign off.
My location is Plzen (Pilsen), 90 km SW from Prague.
Yesterday I had a poor signal here in our house, in the middle of all that
noise of bigger town (170 000 people).

Today (April 26) I took my car, a Lowe HF-150 receiver and 50 m of wire and
drove to the edge of the city. The noise was as strong as in our house so I
drove on, some 10 km north to the area of small villages and forests. When I
connected the wire to my receiver, I could not believe my ears, the signal
was so good. I have been listening for more than 1 hour untill the sign off
at exactly 1400 UTC.

According to my observations, Allied Voice (Zayednichki Glas) is on the air
daily for 3-4 hours (April 25: 1000-1320; April 26: 1030-1400 UTC).
The program consists of anglo-american pop and rock with short comments (2-4
minutes) every ca. 15 minutes. The station ID is (in Serbian) "Allied
Voice", "Allied Voice of NATO", "Radiostation of NATO forces" and similar
modifications. Anti-Miloshevich comments and propaganda are read by men and
women with a strong American accent (!). It seems they are Serbs living in
the US already for many years.
The signal is technically quite OK, propagation from airplane flying so high
above the ground is excellent, the signal has no fading at all (it is early
afternoon of our local time!). Although it has only 10 kW, its level was
practically the same as the one of Hrvatski Radio on 1134 kHz (600 kW). The
signal of Belgrade on 684 kHz (2000 kW, now maybe less) was poor with long
and deep fadings.
My location is ca. 1000 km from Belgrade. I think that it is possible to
hear the signal up to 1500 km from Serbia. Leave your town with a portable -
(or car-) receiver and a role of wire and it is very probable that you will
hear it (untill it is too late).

After all the transmissions are a bit funny. I think that accented speeches
and strong propaganda contents will hardly find massive audience, especially
in Serbia where people are now very sensitive of everything what is comming
from NATO countries that are destroying their country. It reminds me the
time in August 1968 when 5 countries of the Warsaw Pact occupied our country
(the Czech Republic). Immediately after their entry the clandestine station
called VLTAVA went on the air from Dresden, East Germany. Strong accent of
German speakers and communist propaganda did not find their listeners and
the station remained only a source of jokes ...

Karel Honzik
the Czech Republic