Re: [HCDX]: Kite or balloon antennas?

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:17:09 +0200 Hermod Pedersen
<hermod.pedersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>is there anybody who has some practice with kite or balloon antennas?
>>Can you recommend any serious "literature" about it on the web?

I used to have an article by a somewhat famous amateur radio operator in
New England who used to loft very long wires with balloons and box kites
to work DX on 160-meters.  The article is now lost, but I remember he
used two box kites at the end and one at the middle to get 1100 feet of
wire up in the air.  Box kites have a better lift ratio than regular
kites.

He also used a hydrogen generator to fill the balloons.  Much better lift
than helium, but tricky to work with.  You don't want to release any
stray hydrogen because even a spark could set off an explosion.

Glen Kippel
KF6LXI