Re: Fw: Re: [HCDX]: Beverage Antennas

> Was your antenna terminated into a resistor or pot, then
> into the ground?

My beverages simply end at an insulator which is tied to an
end post. This made the beverages bi-directional.

> Two wires or one?

One single wire.

> How high is it?

Approximately 3 meters. I tired to put supports about every
30 meters so that there wouldn't be much sag. PVC pipe or
2x2 lumber make good cheap supports.

> Please tell me about your balum? Did you make it or store
> bought? Why 10:1?

I bought several 10:1 baluns from Steve Lare in Michagan,
who used to make and sell them. He no longer does,
unfortunately. The 10:1 value is not sacrosanct. A 9:1 or
12:1 would be just as good. There were several good
articles about the use of baluns with beverages in the
"Proceedings" series of books published several years ago.
They found that even a 4:1 balun did a good job. The main
thing was to reduce the high impedance of the wire (around
500 Ohm) to something closer to the 50 Ohm impedance of the
coaxial cable feed line.

I'm not sure what the current status of the Proceedings
books is. I think the books are no longer available but the
articles are through the NASWA Reprints service. Can
anybody confirm this?

Don Moore    mooredxer@xxxxxxxxx

=====
Don Moore     mooredxer@xxxxxxxxx