Re: [HCDX]: Winter DXing in a car

Let me tell you my winter DX story.  Happened some 5 years ago, during the
first week in January.  Normally Victoria doesn't get many severe cold
snaps, but that year we had a couple of weeks of -15 deg C temperatures.  I
spent 3 days/nights at our favourite Beverage site about 2 hours from
Victoria.  Off the road, no power lines, etc.  Boy was the DX great, but I
spent the entire time in an arctic sleeping bag, and was quite cosy, except
for my feet.  Every time nature called, my feet took a good hour or more to
warm up again.  Now I have a pair of down winter slippers which I wear
inside the bag, solving that problem.  I've given up on running the engine
to warm up, since the heat only lasts for a few minutes.  That year I did
run the battery down, but that's another story!  On the other hand, I still
remember with fondness an overnight DXpedition in Maui, on the lanai, with
the palms gently moving in the breeze. The moon rising over the ocean,
sitting with my receiver and feet up, dressed only in shorts and Hawaiian
shirt....Ahhhh!

.
Walter R. Salmaniw, MD             email:  salmaniw@xxxxxxxx
Victoria, British Columbia    DXING FROM CANADA'S WEST COAST, using
CANADA                        premier radio receivers:  Collins HF2050,
(250) 592-1033                Collins R390A, Racal RA.117, JRC NRD535D,
                              Kenwood R5000.