Re: [HCDX]: Winter DXing in a car

A small propane cylindar with a heater element that screws right into the top gives off plenty of
heat.  I've used these for years in the  camper shell attached to my truck with no problems
whatsoever.  These run very clean.  Just keep a window cracked open about an inch.

----------
> From: Kaj Larsson <kaj.larsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Ang: [HCDX]: Winter DXing in a car
> Date: Friday, December 03, 1999 1:51 AM
>
> I've spent many a cold night in the car out in a forest where I had put up a long beverage and I
know all about freezing, Hi! One recipy is warm underwear - you can't overdo this part and also
very warm socks and heavy footgear. As the insulation in a car is just worthless the cold creeps in
after a few minutes. I used to run the engine now and then for a few minutes to get some warmth
inside help a bit, too. When conditions were good and signals good you could still listen.
> I wouldn't recommend any time of heater, catalytic or other, because of the risk of poisonous
fumes. An electric blanket could be fine, but remember that you would probably like your car to
start after a long nights listening. Don't empty the battery!
> I know that SAAB was selling a heat accumulator that could store and retain the engines heat for
24 hours or more, but haven't heard about that feature for a couple of years.
> Anyway, the results you will get will keep you warm on nights with good propagation. I found out
that I only felt the cold when nothing was heard.