[HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-75

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-75, Dec 17, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages. If
excerpting, that means adding the line above}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1016: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1016.html

** ALBANIA. Contradicting recent R. Tirana English sked here in 99-71
from their website is this one from BBC Monitoring Dec 15:

Am 0130-0200 and 0330-0400 6115 7160; Eu 1745-1800 7210 9755 and
2230-2300 1215 7130 9540. I have yet to confirm at 0130 and really
now half an hour too, but Wolfgang Bueschel has confirmed the 1745
apparently rather than 2015 (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1016)

** CANADA. Here are some frequency changes made by RCI as of Monday
13 December. (Glenn, sorry this will be too late for WOR 1016, but I
only just got the complete info):

0600-0700 UTC -- 6045 Sackville (250 kW/60 deg) replaces 6090 kHz.
0600-0700 UTC -- 9780 Skelton (300 kW/180) has been moved from the
                 Europe/NAm programming to the African programming.
0600-0700 UTC -- 13690 Skelton is discontinued.
1430-1500 UTC -- 11980 Skelton (300 kW/150) replaces 11740 kHz for
                 English to Europe. (11740 was getting a lot of
                 complaints from listeners, due to co-channel Romania,
                 among other things.)
2130-2200 UTC -- 11890 Skelton (300 kW/180) replaces 11765 Skelton
                 for the Mon-Fri "Canada ce soir" broadcast. BTW,
                 the revised schedule is up on the RCI website.
                 (Surprisingly quickly updated, if you ask me.)
                 73- (Bill Westenhaver Dec 15)

** CANADA. Item from PanIview Nov 30 says RCI's new African service
has already started, including English 0430-0500 M-F on 9690, 11795
(WORLD OF RADIO 1016) Checked UT Dec 17, nothing audible on 11795,
unID weak signal on 9690. Really on? Could be neither is from
Sackville. 9690 would clash with REE Sephardic UT Tue 0415-0445
unless that has moved (Hauser, OK)

** CONGO D.R. 5066 // 3390 Radio Candip 16.00-16.30 Af Mx and ID at
16.20 in french by man as "Vous etes a l'ecoute de la radio scolaire
et developpement Candip" and continued with "transmitting in 70 and
90 meter band'', probably the same thing by woman in Af lang and then
went off. Good reception at that time which is quite rare for this
station, while 3390 was hard to hear (Mahendra Vaghjee, Mauritius, Dec
15)

** KURDISTAN. Voice of the Struggle of Iranian Kordestan (Kurdish:
"Aira Dangi Khabati Kurdistani Iran") has been observed intermittently
since 1988. Programmes are hostile to the Iranian government.
Frequencies are subject to variation. Frequencies used in the past
include: 7435, 7000, 5080 and 4185 kHz. Current schedule:
1600-1700 Daily KURDISH MEDom 4.290 (© BBC Monitoring Dec 15 via
WORLD OF RADIO 1016)

** MACAU [non]. Dear friend:
         Following Hong Kong's smooth return to China, Macao is now
attracting worldwide attention. At midnight on 20th December, 1999,
China will resume its exercise of sovereignty over Macao. China Radio
International will broadcast the ceremony live. We hope you will tune
in.
         CRI's live broadcasting will begin at 15:00 hours on the
19th (UT) and conclude at 12:30 on the 20th.  It will include the
return ceremony (15:00-16:30 UT on 19th December) and the swearing in
of Ho Hau-wah as the Macao SAR's first Chief Executive (17:30-18:30
UT on 19th). He will establish the first government of the Macao
Special Administration Region.
         Please send us your comments. We are looking forward to
receiving your e-mail on the 21th December. With best regards,
Sincerely yours (Ying Lian, CRI, Dec 16 via George J. Poppin)

Macao in Chinese is Aomen [ow-mun]. Ying Lian is a collective
pseudonym of the Letters Section of CRI English section (Daniel Say,
swprograms)

Does this mean the special coverage will be in English???? How about
the frequencies!!!! At 1500 normally on 7405 to WNAm. At least they
are explicit about the UT dates (Hauser)

** MALTA [non]. I heard Malta in English at 0705 tune-in till sign
off at 0730 on 7150 Dec 14. Very good signal coupled with low noise
levels made listening a pleasure! Nice feature on the best locations
to jog in Malta (i.e. north shore). 73, (Ivan Grishin, WORLD OF RADIO
1016) That is via ITALY

** NEW ZEALAND. As we approach midwinter in Europe, reception of
Radio New Zealand International becomes quite good on the short-wave
bands from about midday our time until just after darkness falls. At
present their transmissions are on 17675 kHz, starting at 1650 UT,
Mondays to Fridays, and at 1850 UT at weekends. Their usual
closedown is at 1005 UT. During our winter they are 13 hours ahead
of us, and will therefore be one of the first nations to celebrate
the new millennium. They will remain on air continuously from 1650
UT on the 30th of December until 1005 UT on the 1st of January
2000, during which they may also be heard on 6105 at 1105 UT and
on 6145 at 1505 UT. E-mail QSLs can be sent to info@xxxxxxxx
Further details of the station can be found on the RSGB web site.
(Radio Society of Great Britain GB2RS News, posted December 16, via
John Norfolk, OKCOK)

** PAKISTAN. 4790 // 5027 // 9330 // 9395 // 9430 // 11570 // 11645:
December 15 Radio Pakistan was on all these frequencies. General
Musharraf was presenting 1995-2000 budget around 18.15 and until
19.05 in English, he announced among other things tax reforms, more
incentive for business, more attention to rural areas and as well the
use of Internet will be extended. Signal of 11570 was far better that
all others. (Mahendra Vaghjee, Mauritius)

** PERU. R. Libertad, Trujillo, has been closed Dec 9 by an official
of the Ministry of Transport and Communications as an unlicensed
clandestine. The station maintains that it has been licensed since
Nov 1951 (IFEX website via BBC Monitoring Dec 16, summarised by
Hauser) Not sure, but this rings a bell as having been on SW; no
frequency mentioned, of course (Hauser)

** SWEDEN. Dear Radio Friends, As you might have heard, a strong
wind, reaching hurricane strength (at least the Swedish definition
for "orkan") hit the southern part of Sweden some time ago.
Unfortunately, the short wave site of Teracom, radiating the
programmes of Radio Sweden, was hit. Most of the damage was quickly
fixed and few transmissions were deleted. However, a the strong wind
caused a LP antenna to fall down. Picture of this can be seen at:
http://www.rd.teracom.se/hurricane/hurricane.htm As the height is
around 60 meters from the normal position, there is not much left to
fix. I hope you can imagine the force of the wind and we can assure
you that we have done our best to minimize the inconvenience for you
who are listening. If you have any additional questions or perhaps a
new LP for sale, do not hesitate to drop me a line. Yours sincerely,
(Magnus Nilsson, Hf Frequency Planning, Teracom AB via hard-core dx
Dec 17)                                                          ###