[HCDX]: An Open Rebuttal to Bob Padula

Bob,

Bear with me as someone else does some editorializing for a change.

It has been brought to my attention that in a previous EDXP, a logging of mine
was editorialized as being too "exact" in frequency.  As I understand it, the
term "frivolous" was used to describe this practice.

This is a bizarre attack and pure nonsense.  In many cases, this is way of
assisting in the positive identification of certain Latin American stations
which are constantly drifting.  It is also worthwhile to note that even with
today's technology for HF broadcasting, more and more broadcasters are
drifting off-frequency.

For example, I am personally shocked to find such stations as the
Sudwestdeutscher Rundfunk on 7264.94!  In your example, we should log this as
7265 and the engineer in charge be damned.  We as monitors should have the
courtesy of letting these folks know *where* these signals are in addition to
how well we are hearing it.  Keep in mind that the technique used to determine
this level of "frivolous" accuracy is performed with the use of finely
calibrated spectrum analyzer.  This was not done with the use of an average
frequency counter as was also recently editorialized in EDXP.

If it is so painful for you to include such loggings, please refrain from
including any of mine in your publication in the future.  The logging in
question was never sent to you for your use in the first place.  It was taken
from this message list (HCDX) - without my permission I might add - and then
publicly criticized.  If this is your way of enticing people to submit logs to
your personally editorial-laden publication, publicly insulting them is not
the way to do it.

Have a nice day,

Mark J. Fine