[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-21 Feb 2

        DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-21, February 2, 2000
                edited by Glenn Hauser

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1022: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1022.html

** COSTA RICA. RFPI was back on 25930-USB when checked around 1930
Feb 2, and 15049 was not on, so apparently back to nominal schedule
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY. By the way, Glenn`s comments about "Openhoma" reminds me
of our semi-local Hoyerswerda transmitter on 999, which was after 1990
used by RIAS, then Deutschlandradio Berlin. There was only during
office hours staff present at the site and nobody cared if the
transmitter failed while the station was unmanned. In case this
happened on Saturday the silence hence remained until Monday, so what?
Also the tinny, telephone-quality modulation with its really low depth
was never fixed. Asking at DLR about this showed a great lack of
interest in this state, rather incomprehensible to me as they had of
course to pay for this scrap. Finally DLR decided to give up 999 at
the end of 1995. And right, the transmitter stayed on air until the
staff was on duty again on January 2nd 1996 and turned it off as their
first act in the new year, making way for co-channel Grigoriopol/
Moldova here. Regards, (Kai Ludwig, Germany, Feb 1)

** GUAM [et al.]      ADVENTIST  WORLD  RADIO

        The programming of Adventist World Radio is currently still
available on satellite over Europe.  The AWR usage of the satellite
relay services of the World Radio Network has been extended until the
beginning of April, and the scheduling is the same as in the previous
transmission period.  The AWR DX program, Wavescan, is heard on WRN1
on Sundays at 0900 UTC, and via cable FM stations that carry this
relay, such as in Berlin and Vienna.  It is anticipated that an
extended AWR satellite service over Europe will be launched in coming
months.

        Adventist World Radio has phased out the issuing of QSL cards
at KSDA on the island of Guam.  However, QSL cards confirming the
reception of shortwave station KSDA are still available and all
reports will be verified from the AWR address in England.  All
reception reports for the transmissions over the AWR facility on Guam
should now be sent to the following address in England, where QSL
cards will be issued by the Listener Mail Co-ordinator.  The address
is:-

Adventist World Radio, 39 Brendon St, London W1, England.

        It should be noted that the Monitoring Service established by
Bernd Friedewald in Germany is processing only regular monitoring
reports from official AWR monitors, and they are not issuing QSL cards
on behalf of AWR Adventist World Radio.

        The left-over QSL cards from AWR in Costa Rica have been
forwarded to Indianapolis, 21 different cards in all.  Those who would
like to complete their collection of AWR QSL cards from Costa Rica are
invited to send reception reports on any AWR transrnission to AWR at
Box 29235, Indianapolis, IN 46229, USA.

         The card series from Costa Rica available in Indianapolis as
long as supplies last are:-
                Volcano Series          6 cards
                Country Paintings       5 cards
                Coat of Arms Series     7 cards
                Misc Cards              3 cards

(Adrian M. Peterson, DX Editor, Feb 2, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. Subject: RRI fak fak  Dear Glenn,

I receive your emailed publication  DX listening digest via hard core
DX. In a recent edition I think you or one of your contributors
reported the above station as being off air due to vandals breaking in
and destroying essential equipment.

Well, they are on again last night (1st Feb) on 4789.17 at 09.12
through to 09.31 with call to prayer. I did not hear ID (one can only
listen to so much of this) but signal was fair to good so someone has
done a quick repair job. Best regards (David Norrie  Auckland, NZ;
AOR 7030, 25m long wire, T2FD, Feb 1, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ISRAEL. Hello, I've been listening to a station on 15785 from about
1100. It's in Hebrew with 'phone in and pop music programmes,
commercials and with five minutes of news on the hour. I think it is
Galei Zahal, but cannot hear the announcers say so. There is a jingle
which seems to feature "......Galei....." in it. A fair signal, but
only about half the strength of  15615 (positively NOT in parallel
with that). Still going 1400+ but ID not  heard.  (Noel R. Green,
Blackpool-UK, Feb 1 via Wolfgang Bueschel, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I checked it today Feb 2nd, at 1100-1200 15785 here in EUR only mostly
S=2, in few peaks S=3. No armchair listening. Same program as
mentioned above. Reshet Bet on 15615 is MUCH stronger (300 kW) S=4-5,
at same time. 73 de wb df5sx (Wolfgang Bueschel, Germany, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. Hello, my assumption regarding 1323 proved wrong: The new
Spanish broadcast of VoR goes out only on 7380 and 9480, both striking
weak here and I'am just 90% sure that they really had Spanish
programming; first 7380 had probably just an open carrier but then
definitely audio as I finally completed drying my hair at 2150. 1323-
Wachenbrunn instead stayed with VoR English until 2200, followed by
"Universelles Leben" rebroadcast // 1386-Bolshakovo. A few years ago
VoR got some trouble about this airtime renting with the German media
authorities; today the "Universelles Leben" organization can use
Deutsche Telekom transmitters without the detour via Moscow (of course
I refer to the shortwave ones at Jülich). Times are changing. (Kai
Ludwig, Germany, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. A web site for WA0RCR is now under construction:
http://www.wa0rcr.com :

Welcome to the Gateway 160 Meter Radio Newsletter on 1860 Web Site.
North America's most comprehensive voice bulletin service; The Gateway
160 Meter Radio Newsletter, Saturdays on Top Band 1860 kHz. Serving
the amateur community on 160 Meters for the past 20 years. Serving 42
states and Canadian provinces Saturday nights from Wentzville,
Missouri on 1860 kHz AM. ON THE AIR Saturday afternoon 1 pm, until 2
am Sunday (Central time) on 1860 kHz. [Sat 1900-0800 Sun UT]
(wa0rcr.com Feb 1 via John Norfolk, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** UZBEKISTAN. Foreign relays via Tashkent:
[note they are all on 131 degree antenna, except one reversed at 311]

IBRA Radio
1330-1400 15470 200 kW 131 deg

TWR
ff0000-0100 7430 200 kW 131 deg

Vatican Radio
1450-1620 9865 100 kW 131 deg
1710-1740 6185 100 kW 311 deg

R. Vlaanderen Int.
1200-1230 17685 100 kW 131 deg

BBC
0030-0130 7375 200 kW 131 deg
0800-0830 21780 200 kW 131 deg
1400-1530 7430 200 kW 131 deg

Radio Nederland
1330-1425 13820 100 kW 131 deg
1430-1625 12070 100 kW 131 deg
(Nikolai Rudnev, via Al Quaglieri, NASWA, Feb 1, via
DX LISTENING DIGEST)                             ###