Re: [HCDX]: WGTG 6.890 SSB

Mauno Ritola wrote:

> At 13.45 7.2.2000 +0200, you wrote:
> >Can anyone give a hint on how to get a QSL from WGTG?
> >Over the years of WGTG's existence I have tried all sort of letters
> >(interesting/dull/simple/thorough/personal/formal/souvernirs/no-souvernirs/d
> >ollars/no-dollars/SASE/IRC), recordings on floppy disk, e-mail... i.e. quite
> >many attempts with absolutely no results. Once I even wrote to one of the
> >"survivor" content providers, but all I got as a reply was a newsletter
> >trying to sell all sort of essential goods like bottles of oxygene.
> >Or is it just that the laws of probability haven't been failed with me yet?
>
> Hi,
>         I have the same experience as Mika Makelainen: an e-mail follow-up gave
> result and Dave Frantz told: "WE ARE WAY BEHIND ON  ON QSL'ING DUE TO
> POLITICAL ATTACK SEEKING TO GET THIS STATION SHUT DOWN  ANYWAY I WILL SEND
> YOU FULL QSL CARD ASAP".(In fact there was some kind of trouble with the
> neighbors because WGTG broadcast religious programs of a "wrong" Church).
> But guess if the QSL ever came?
>         I agree with John Wright: I have heard that many DXers 5 USD or more to
> stations like this. I think we should agree to send a max 1 USD or 2 IRCs,
> because it seems that many stations have found this an easy way to collect
> some money. I guess they just reply to every 100th report to keep the money
> coming!
>
> 73, Mauno

Hi Mauno and to the other list members, John Wright. Really it comes
down to this is a hobby. The hobby can also give valuable feedback to
the stations for reception and whether they are having various
transmitter troubles etc....but its a matter of well all people have to
say is.....Unfortunately we don not have the staff and or resources to
respond to reports....its not that we dont love the letters and reports,
but maybe sometime in the future we may be able to come up with a
solution........Simply is that if Mr WGTG reception reports and
listeners letters drop off he may wonder why......(some people never do
understand reason, but thats life....). I think i've rattled my gums
enough on this subject. Oh Yes whilst on the subject of US $5-00 reply
postage ....there was a station in Europe using the Post Office as the
excuse for not replying to reports, and also asking for US5-00, this was
sometime ago (a few years at least), but station is no more. This is a
hobby and my experience is that more than US2-00 (some countries do have
high  postal rates), but these people don;t last too long. Hey at least
there aren't too many bad souls....unlike other hobbies/sports. At least
we don't have "drug cheats", interferring or bribes..been taken (HAHA).
It is all up to the individual. (Headphones back on, John).