Re: [HCDX]: Why QSL? (was: Re: addresses)

Re: [HCDX]: Why QSL? (was: Re: addresses)

On 23 Apr 00, at 21:43, Ruud Vos wrote:

Hello all,

Martin and Ruud wrote:

> >> I am such a guy wich ask as last attempt a embassy to help me to
> >> QSL a station,
> >> for me this is not a diffrence when you visit a station and ask a
> >> QSL and the
> >> way I do.
> >
> >Rubbish. For what do you ask your embassy to help you, if not with the
> >intention to increase pressure on the station? Sorry to say so, but I think
> >this is an unacceptable behaviour. I'm a keen QSL-collector too, but I don't
> >think that this is the way we should try to "extort" QSLs.
> >
> >There are always stations unwilling to QSL. So what? Perhaps they will do so
> >in 10 years. But after such an experience they won't certainly do it again.
> >It's nothing but a bloody unfair practice to other DXers.
>
> Don't make me laugh Martin, Is embassy help on very hard to QSL stations
> unacceptable behaviour!
> It can give also further positive results maybe, because stations realise
> how important QSL's can be for DX'ers!
> People of the embassy don't contact stations with a knife on their throats,
> this is going on a very diplomative way Martin!

Well, I beg to differ.  An embassy is a medium that increases
pressure enormously, because many radiostations are involved in
development projects sponsored by a government, which are
audited and monitored primarily by embassies.  Illustrative of this
are facilities in Papua New Guinea, sponsored by the Japanese
government and a Surinamese radiostation that had an FM-
transmitter donated by the Indian government.  These are big
donations, but on a smaller scale assistance is also given, for
example hiring airtime to disseminate the results of a particular
project.

Since nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them of course
these stations will issue a QSL.  Indeed, they are probably used to
handing out all kinds of paper with stamps and signatures to
document projects and/or get co-financing for their activities.  To
these non-QSLing stations, a verification will probably just be
another piece of paper like that.

Best 73s all
Wian Stienstra