[HCDX]: Report from Fuerteventura

Greetings from Fuerteventura, one of the easternmost parts on Canary
Islands, only some 100 km from the border between Morocco and
the disputed Sahara area.
I was there on April 13th-19th, 2000.  Here is a summary of some
stations heard.  This list is not complete as this was my holiday
and I didn't use very much time for dx'ing.  The pool & the beach
were of more interest... :)
Rx: Sony ICF-SW40 with frequency accuracy +- 1 kHz.  No external
antenna - and actually it would be difficult to build longwire antennas
on Fuerteventura as there are no trees at all on this island!  All times
UTC. WRTH 2000 Canary Islands section seems to be accurate on AM, on
FM there were some new stations, silent stations and frequency changes.

252     Atlantic 252.  No sign of Algeria.
603     RdP Madeira.  All day long, ground-wave signal.
648     R Gambia, Bonto.  One of the strongest night time African stns,
	cool px's, see also 909 kHz.
711     RTM Laayoune.  One of the strongest stations on the AM-dial.
	Regional px's daily about Sahara affairs, especially in the evening.
	ID:"Idhaa't atu'l-mamlaka al Magrebiyah min Ad-Dakhla." ->
	Dakhla px is run here. See also 999 kHz. More regional px than any
	other of the RTM-stations noted, which often run national chain-px
	when 711 was regional.  This indicates that the Moroccoan
	government uses plenty of money & resources for
	propaganda in this area.
765     Nothing, Senegal off?
899     R Yaounde.  Only once but w fine reception. Still on split fq.
909     BBC R 5.
999     COPE Madrid.  No sign of Dakhla.
1035   Radio Nacional 1035 Onda Media.  New Portuguese national
	station?
1205a   RTM, w several id's. Agadir x-1197?  Sometimes //540//936,
	but often also berber network. This possibly explains several
	mystery-arabs heard here.
1494    Jordania.  Weak stn also 1492-3, Ivory Coast?
1530    Posto Emissor de Radiodifusao de Funchal. Surprisingly strong
	over VoA Sao Tome.  Mostly talk, often relay of Radio Renascencaa.
	S-off 2303.
1540    LV Sahara, daily w relatively weak signal.  Yes, it is
	possible that they use also 1550 kHz, I have heard them in Finland
	on 1550 kHz.  But during my holiday on Fuerteventura they were on
	1540 kHz.  BTW, several reports a couple of years ago indicated
	that SW is coming from Algeria while this MW-tx is a mobile
	one used in the desert.  Signal strenght & fading type support
	these reports.
1548    VoA Kuwait + bubble jammer.
5550    RdP //603 Madeira AM-mode.  Irregularly mostly sports & talks.
	Sat 15.4. 1800 soccer w abrupt s-off, again noted Mon 17.4. 1900 w
	sports and Wed 19.4. 1600-> w politics.  Strong signal almost
	without fading, thus possibly coming from Madeira.  Some special
	relays for Atlantic fishermen?

73

Jorma Mantyla
Kangasala, Finland