Re: [HCDX]: Report from Fuerteventura

jmantyla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[...]
>1035   Radio Nacional 1035 Onda Media.  New Portuguese national
> station?

The name of the station is misleading. The real Portuguese
national radio is RDP (Radiodifusao Portuguesa). Radio Nacional is
the new name of the formerly called Radio Comercial Onda Media. It
still belongs to Radio Comercial and is in fact commercial. You
can find some references to Radio Nacional in Radio Comercial's
website ( http://www.radiocomercial.pt ). You must be careful,
though, because the list of frequencies that the site contains is
the list of the best frequencies to be heard in the main
Portuguese towns. It is not a list of transmitters. The frequency
of 1035 kHz belongs to a 100 kW transmitter located at Porto Alto,
a small town at ~40 km from Lisbon.

[...]
>5550    RdP //603 Madeira AM-mode.  Irregularly mostly sports &
talks.
> Sat 15.4. 1800 soccer w abrupt s-off, again noted Mon 17.4. 1900
> sports and Wed 19.4. 1600-> w politics.  Strong signal almost
> without fading, thus possibly coming from Madeira.  Some special
> relays for Atlantic fishermen?
[...]

The organization that is responsible for the management of the
radio spectrum in Portugal is called Instituto das Comunicacoes de
Portugal (ICP). I've sent them an e-mail asking for info about
this frequency. The answer I got is that it must have been some
sort of mistake, since the frequency of 5550 kHz belongs to a band
that is allocated to the aeronautical mobile service (5480-5680
kHz), not to broadcasting. You can check it for yourself at the
following address: http://www.icp.pt/publicacoes/freq/indexuk.html