[HCDX]: Hobby Broadcasting Update 1

Hi, here's another Hobby Broadcasting magazine update. This little
e-newsletter is intended to update everyone with a little bit of cool hobby
radio info, inform everyone about what's happening with the latest issue of
Hobby Broadcasting, and pass anything else along that doesn't fit neatly
into either of the previous categories.

----------------
Traveling tonight--Dayton '00
I hope to see some of you tomorrow, Saturday, or Sunday at the Dayton
Hamvention. This is the largest hamfest in the world, with more than 30,000
expected to attend again this year. We're officially slated to be in outdoor
vendor spot #2389, but chances are good that we'll wind up in the 3051-3053
block so that I can hang out with friends. Dayton is fantastic for picking
up most any kind of radios, computers, and some audio equipment. I'll be
driving all night, so if you stop by the booth, don't be surprised if I look
a little ragged... (And if this e-mail looks a little skimpy, it's because
I'm running around, trying to get everything packed up).

----------------
The Latest Issue
The Summer 2000 issue is in the works and we're about ready to send the
cover to the printer. Expect it in mid to late June. The big articles in
this issue include Part 2 of the history of the DuMont TV network, plus FM
news, shortwave pirate news, and more. The new PCS PC card transmitter will
either be reviewed in this issue or the next.

----------------
The Web Page   http://www.hobbybroadcasting.com
	* We're about two weeks behind on updating the page because of Dayton
preparations and other assorted turmoil, but we should have some new
information up in the next few days.
	* We're thinking about adding a bulletin board and a classifieds section to
the page. Any interest in these?

----------------
Ad News
Our rates are still staying the same for at least a little longer. The ad
deadlines for the fall issue are officially 8/15/00.

----------------
Europe Promo
Radio 510 International (3985 and 7120 kHz, shortwave) will be giving away a
large stack of the Winter 1999/2000 issue of HB. I don't know the
particulars, but I think they're giving them away (free) + $1 for postage.
Presently, there's no info about the promo on their web page, but you can
see their page at: http://www.radio510.org/

----------------
Shortwave News
	* I've been working long hours over the past week putting together an audio
CD called "Pirates of the '80s." This is a collection of North American
shortwave pirate audio clips. It contains more than an hour of audio from 64
different stations. It should cost about $10 (+ postage). I'll have a few
copies of the preliminary version (without the CD sticker and long booklet)
for sale at Dayton.
        * Look out for broadcasts from Radio Alpha Lima International
(Holland) on 15070 kHz. They've been heard all over the world and some other
stations have started using
	* Radio Cochiguaz (6950 kHz LSB) and Radio Blandengue (14565 kHz) have been
heard in the U.S. & Canada recently. Check for them on weekends.
	* North American shortwave pirates have been less active recently, with the
Peruvian station broadcasting on 6956 kHz. Most pirates are dropping down to
6950 kHz to avoid interference, but I'm sure that more frequency hopping
will be occurring.

----------------
FM News
        * The big news is that the bill against LPFM was passed through the
House. Now, it's on to Congress, where, hopefully, it will get shot down.
        * Mark , who writes the FM Bandscan column, has had a change of
e-mail address. If you want to pass along some info about your station or FM
pirates that you are hearing, you can send it to him at: zineland@xxxxxxxxx

----------------
HB Stuff
We're planning to offer Hobby Broadcasting t-shirts and possibly sweatshirts
and/or mugs. Shirts would probably be in the $12 range. Are you interested
in these or anything else?

In case you're wondering how you wound up on this mailing list...well, we're
using e-mail addresses from people who have recently written to HB and also
the old mailing list from the days when I published the little Pirate Pages
shortwave radio newsletter. In case you'd like to be removed from this list,
please send a polite e-mail to me at ayoder@xxxxxxxx

----------------
A Few Cool Links
http://www.frn.net           Free Radio Network