[HCDX] Numero Uno

The recent thread about Numero Uno has been just the kind of publicity they abhor, especially when someone wonders publicly, how do I get invited to join? NU has operated in the shadows for decades, not content with being a close-knit group sharing info for mutual benefit, but leeching off the efforts of others and offering nothing in return. The fact that a number of active hc-dxers had never heard of NU indicates how successful it had been in avoiding publicity.

It may come as a surprise to hc-dxers that NU has quoted extensively from your material in NU bulletins, but have you ever seen anything from NU quoted on hcdx?? I know this second-hand from reading some other bulletins which have access to NU. So in a sense, you are all NU`ers?with none of the benefits! Another such group which is unwittingly contributing to NU and getting nothing in return is Brazil`s radio-escutas.

Now that you know this, perhaps you will want to emulate my proviso by stating in no uncertain terms that your material is not to be used by NU.

I can?t read their minds, but I suspect NU`s attitude is partly based on getting the jump on fellow hobbyists, in DXing and QSLing new and rare stations ? while the QSLing is good. No matter what they may say about it being OK for NU to be quoted, their actions in going out of their way to prevent this speak much louder. The longer something can be delayed getting out to the great unwashed DX masses, the better. ``Elitism`` is a charge previously made against NU, which they can deny with words but not actions.

Harold Sellers recently promulgated the benign nothing-to-it NU line I have heard in years past. Let me make it clear that I certainly do not object to any group of people forming their own association, by invitation only, or under whatever rules mutually agreed upon.

The problem is that NU takes and republishes whatever it pleases from ``public domain`` DX bulletins and feels no ***moral*** obligation to offer its bulletin in return for the editors and individuals whose info it mines.

Thus I have made an issue of their not using anything whatsoever from DX Listening Digest.

NU could avoid all the bad publicity and bad feeling by simply making its bulletin available to me and other fellow DX editors who want it. I am talking about an exchange, such as exists between and among many other DX organizations for everyone`s mutual benefit. I am not demanding to be a member of NU, something which I have no desire to be.

Perhaps all this could be settled amicably if, as Harold says, NU members are really free to forward NU info to other DX bulletins!

``NU members are free to forward DX news from NU to other publications``

OK, some NU members, please do that to me for DXLD, and perhaps I will quit bitching about it.

Or am I the foolish one for giving away my editorial work by posting DXLD on publicly-accessible listserves such as hard-core-dx, and even posting it on my website? Very few accept my invitation to make some voluntary monetary contribution for all the hours I put into this.

The trouble is, to repay NU`s longtime behavior properly, I would have to turn DXLD into an organization just as restrictive as it is, distributed only to the chosen few and password-protected.

Speaking of which, I gather that NU also operates a restricted website with audiovisual material, called NU Sight & Sound.

Back in the days of ditto machines, licking stamps and stuffing envelopes, it may have made sense to keep the group as small as possible. With E-mail, this argument is ridiculous. It would cost NU nothing in terms of effort to add wghauser@xxxxxxxxxxx to their distribution list and then they could use DXLD with a clear conscience.

Or, should I one day decide it is no longer worth it to be a DX editor, in the face of hostililty, ripoffs and lack of appreciation for my efforts, you may draw your own conclusions about one of the causes.

Sincerely, Glenn Hauser