Re: [HCDX] Lots of Africans, plus a few ringers

Re: [HCDX] Lots of Africans, plus a few ringers

Ralph:

I thought I heard Benin the other day but "off frequency" at close to
7210 kHz. Now, I think I made that measurement too hastily. So tonight
went to extra precautions to be sure.  Measurements were made using 64
Hz bandwidth in the CW mode. The station is stable at 7210.261 with
about plus or minus one or two Hz RF jitter. The carrier was clearly
visible several minutes before the sign on at just before 0500 UTC.
SINPO was 45434. Signal strength measured at -107 dBm. Sign on was
national anthem [I presume] then male announcer in French followed by
female "disk jockey" who is playing pop music in different languages.
Nice signal. Still going strong at 0545 UTC with native music in
language that is African, not French.

Finally, after months of technical problems with my PC, not the
software,  have my Ergo 3.0 software remotely controlling the HF-1000,
which makes for very nice listening combined with on-screen Klingenfuss
2000 database and my own MS Access database records. Very easy to log
stations as you go, instead of re-transcribing data later [more likely
never :-)] from my spiral notebook[s].

On 29 August between 1220 and 1231 UTC I heard Hanoi on 6165 kHz and
7210 kHz and possibly Lao Cai on 28 August on 5595.5 kHz at about 1331
UTC. I believe I was probably hearing Laos on 6130.002 playing Love
Potion #9 sometime between 1200 to 1300Z on 28 August. Heard what I
think was Myanmar on 4725 kHz and 5945 kHz. These IDs are tentative but
at that time of day South East Asia always comes in nicely. Anybody else
hearing them here on the West Coast?

Tell me more about your results with mini-Beverage. Is it worth putting
up one with that shorter length?

Tom Roach
Watkins-Johnson HF-1000 with SE-3 using Alpha Delta DX Sloper antenna.
[QTH in Sierra Nevada foothills at 2200 ft [according to now very
accurate GPS] about 50 miles East of Sacramento]