Re: [HCDX] Lots of Africans, plus a few ringers

Re: [HCDX] Lots of Africans, plus a few ringers

>Ralph:

Hi, Tom,

>Hz bandwidth in the CW mode. The station is stable at 7210.261 with
>about plus or minus one or two Hz RF jitter. The carrier was clearly

Heh.  I guess maybe I haven't gotten the hang of measuring down to 10 Hz
with the 7030 yet; I can do it easily with the R8.

>Tell me more about your results with mini-Beverage. Is it worth putting
>up one with that shorter length?

I've had generally decent results.  I've gotten probably a half-dozen
Africans I've never heard before since I put it up, including two Nigerian
regionals on 49 meters.  It's not so directional that it wipes everything
else out, but pointing due east as it does, it does seem to get better
results from Africa than anywhere else.  Europe is close enough to its main
beam that I get respectable results from there as well.  The antenna is 90
degrees off South America, and I get correspondingly terrible results from
South America as a result, but since Africa is my main interest, I don't
mind.  If I want to listen to something from South America and the wire
doesn't cut it, I switch to the Dressler ARA-60, which is pretty much
omnidirectional.

For the past few months, I've had a short in my coax which meant that the
antenna didn't work when I had it fully plugged in.  The main result there
was that I didn't get the noise-reduction benefit of having the antenna
start 40 feet from the house and run away from it from there, since I had
to have it plugged in only half way, and it picked up computer noise and
the like.  Now that I've fixed the coax (and of course it was in the last
possible place it could be, after I had tested and replaced damned near
everything else in the system), the antenna seems quieter, and I'm getting
more stuff.

All in all, I'm happy with it.  If I had more room in that direction, I'd
run more wire, but 250 feet seems to give respectable results.

Ralph
--
Ralph Brandi   ralph@xxxxxxxxxx   http://www.brandi.org/

"Any revolution that goes on for too long is by definition a failure.
The idea is to become the establishment." - Linus Torvalds