[HCDX] Uprising in Yugoslavia - OCT 5, 2000

[HCDX] Uprising in Yugoslavia - OCT 5, 2000

Hi,
I have been monitoring the MW band during the uprising in Yugoslavia on
October 5, 2000.
It was early afternoon here in central Europe when the parlament and Serbian
TV building in Belgrade (Beograd) were set on fire. At that time reception
conditions on MW were still very bad. Later in the afternoon I could hear
more:

684 + 1107 kHz  (Beograd 1 + Novi Sad relaying Beo-1)
----------
...before 1600 UTC - Program about Olympic Games 2000
1600 UTC - Musical requests program (announced). Instrumental music non-stop
only.
1659 UTC - ID of "Beograd 202"
1700 UTC - Relay of Beograd 202 - music with IDs / jingles
1805 UTC - Report about "aggression" in the streets of Belgrade
1808 UTC - Music .............
At this time the station seemed to be still in hands of the former regime.

---------------------

Before 2200 UTC everything looked very different:

2150 UTC - Relay of a speech (Mr. Kostunica?) on 666 kHz (Sombor), 684 kHz
(Beograd), 1566 kHz (Smederevska Palanka). 1107 kHz - no signal; 1440 kHz -
no signal.

2203 UTC - End of the speech, separate (own) programs on the frequencies
mentioned.

2210 UTC - (New) Radio Beograd with news, music, interviews. No real ID,
just talking about Radio Beograd. A man praising the situation which now
allows certain people (from the oposition) to talk to people on waves of
Radio Beograd.

2218 UTC - Finally heard something on 1107 kHz (too much QRM from AFN
Germany). A former relay of Beograd 1, now a brand new radio - Novi Radio
Novi Sad (New Radio Novi Sad). People from the street talk about the recent
development in Novi Sad.

2240 UTC - Radio Sombor (666 kHz) heard with its own program.

2245 UTC - 711 kHz (Nis) in // to 684 kHz.

2250 UTC - Finally heard something also on 1440 kHz: program // to 684 kHz,
but the modulation is very low, that was why I did not hear anything under
RTL and Saudi Arabia before.

Later in the night nothing special has been happening on Serbian radio
waves. Brief checks showed only music played on all mentioned stations // to
684 kHz with an exception of Novi Sad 1107 kHz which I cannot confirm due to
a heavy QRM from AFN Germany.

Unfortunately the daytime conditions are still very bad (almost like in
summer) so I do not hear anything from Serbia, which is around 1000 km from
my location here in the middle of Europe.

What surprised me yesterday a bit was that the new transmitter on 1188 kHz
(Marcali, Hungary) did not raise its activity. I would expect relays of
Radio B2-92 like it was during the elections, but as I could check it time
to time they were running their "new stuff" of RFE and probably also VoA
relays, both in Serbian.
OK, Radio B2-92 has been complaining about bad reception of this transmitter
on the territory of Serbia - I do not believe it too much as the signal of
this transmitter is very good thruout Europe ... and what more: RFE and VoA
do not complain about the coverage.
I think that RFE and VoA (and those in the background) are not interested to
give space to this "amateurish" station, because they want to do things
their own professional way...

The whole development in Yugoslavia these days (and also on radio waves)
seems to me too much "velvet" (do you remember the Velvet Revolution in my
country in November 1989?). Miloshevich disappeared (today´s news say he is
in Bor near border to Romania, preparing a big comeback), so maybe we can
expect some more interesting development on radio waves coming from
Yugoslavia. Do not tune off.

GOOD DX,
Karel Honzík
redakce DX REVUE