Re: [HCDX] Uprising in Yugoslavia - OCT 5, 2000

Re: [HCDX] Uprising in Yugoslavia - OCT 5, 2000

KH> What surprised me yesterday a bit was that the new transmitter on 1188 kHz
KH> (Marcali, Hungary) did not raise its activity. I would expect relays of
KH> Radio B2-92 like it was during the elections, but as I could check it time
KH> to time they were running their "new stuff" of RFE and probably also VoA
KH> relays, both in Serbian.

One of the  reasons why Radio B2-92 isn't interested in MW relays now
is the fact that they regained their old premises (studio and a 300 W
FM TX on 92.5 MHz) late on Thursday afternoon (October 5), because
people who took away (in a dubious court case, now certainly up for
revision) their premises last April simply vanished, like many other
"journalists" deeply loyal to  Milosevic's regime. It is almost
incredible to comprehend how easily the old regime's media empire was
crushed, having in mind the fierce defence used by Milosevic in
earlier cases - in March 1991, he even brought the tanks on the
streets when angry protesters attacked state television. OK, this time
the protesters were equipped with everything from Molotov cocktails to
heavy construction machinery, but almost no one predicted that state
TV will fall without a horrific bloodbath. The state Radio was
practically left defenseless - it is reported that the former
editor-in-chief of Radio Belgrade's first programme (who was dismissed
in early nineties) simply walked in the radio HQ at about 8PM,  met no
resistance at all and went on to try assembling an ad-hoc team to
start normal broadcasts. By the way, the director of the state TV and
the editor-in-chief at the news department barely escaped the lynching
party waiting for them outside the TV HQ.

KH> OK, Radio B2-92 has been complaining about bad reception of this transmitter
KH> on the territory of Serbia - I do not believe it too much as the signal of
KH> this transmitter is very good thruout Europe ... and what more: RFE and VoA
KH> do not complain about the coverage.
KH> I think that RFE and VoA (and those in the background) are not interested to
KH> give space to this "amateurish" station, because they want to do things
KH> their own professional way...

The main problem, IMHO, is that 1188 kHz TX at Marcali is of little
use to listeners in central Serbia during daylight, as the signal is
too weak (I guess that the groundwave isn't reaching that far, as
Marcali is practically just off the southwest tip of the Balaton lake,
rather far off from central Serbia). On the other hand, Radio Sombor's
signal on 666 kHz serves the daytime role perfectly (at least in
Belgrade and a bit more to the south), catching the main target area.

KH> The whole development in Yugoslavia these days (and also on radio waves)
KH> seems to me too much "velvet" (do you remember the Velvet Revolution in my
KH> country in November 1989?). Miloshevich disappeared (today´s news say he is
KH> in Bor near border to Romania, preparing a big comeback), so maybe we can
KH> expect some more interesting development on radio waves coming from
KH> Yugoslavia. Do not tune off.

Fortunately, chances of a counterattack are now just a fiction, as the
remaining traces of the old regime are falling like dominoes. Clever
planning and good and reliable inside information enabled the DOS
coalition to establish control over police and military in a short
time, and it looks that politicians will take over.

 Igor YT1MM
                            mailto:yt1mm@xxxxxx