RE: [HCDX] EWE antenna

Hi Michael,

Glad to hear that youre EWE antenna is working very well for you! You must
have a satisfactory ground (earthing) condition where you live, for the EWE
to give such good performance, as this antenna's results are known to be in
direct relationship to the local ground conductivity.  Where I live, the
soil is very rocky and it is difficult to get a EWE to work well (flag &
pennant antennas, as well as K9AYs are better here).

Mr. Koontz's original article specified a *turns-ratio* of 3:1 for the
transformer, not an impedance ratio of 3:1. If you use a 3:1 turns-ratio
transformer, you end up having a 9:1 impedance ratio (i.e. 50 ohms to 450
ohms). So, your choice of the balun was absolutely correct.

Two DXer friends of mine, Don Nelson and Patrick Martin, live to the south
of me in Oregon. Their local soil is much better than mine, and they use a
EWE to hear a lot of DX on the tropical bands and MW. Don uses a low-noise
preamplifier at the balun to help boost the weaker signals of the EWE.
Perhaps in Europe it is not a good idea to amplify the EWE's signal; here in
the Pacific Northwest USA, signals are weaker and we can make good use of
high-quality preamplifiers to help bring signals out of the noise (for
antennas with negative gain like the EWE).

best DX,

Guy Atkins
Bonney Lake, WA USA