[HCDX] Radio Ukraine International

UKRAINE 9385 AND 13590
Every once in a while, RUI can be heard reasonably well on the west coast of North America. Tonight, RUI was heard at good levels on 9385 in Ukrainian at 0550. The rarely heard parallel of 13590 (which I recall was once at 1000 Kw from Mykolayiv) was heard very weakly. Program was about religion in Ukraine, in Ukrainian. Program ended by 0600 with 9385 going off the air at that time. 13590 seemed to continue, but I could not hear the usual interval signal at the top of the hour. Presumably the English transmission at 0400 should have been well heard. Too bad the 1000 Kw plans have been side lined for now. When they did use that power in other years, that transmitter was quite regular, even here on the west coast, often at good to even very good levels. The 100 Kw sender on 9385 probably propagates decently maybe 10% of the time in our local evenings.
(Salmaniw, Victoria, BC 9 February 2001)