[HCDX] logs 30 MAY - 23 JUN 2001

Report from Mark Connelly - Times / dates = UTC / 2001
(logs 30 MAY - 23 JUN 2001)

[Connelly*B-MA] = Billerica, MA
(GC= 71.221 W / 42.533 N)
(home)

[Connelly*R-MA] = Rockport, MA
(GC= 70.622 W / 42.667 N)
(Granite Pier)

Receiver: Drake R8A

Antenna systems: broadband loop, active whip, "Kaz" antenna,
 sloper, Superphaser-1 phasing unit

e-mail = MarkWA1ION@xxxxxxxxxx

Homepage = http://members.aol.com/MarkWA1ION/weblink.htm
Bandscan World = http://members.aol.com/RockportMWDX/index.html
Cape Cod DX Site photo's: http://members.aol.com/WMEX1510/dx_orleans_ma.htm
NF DXpedition Page = http://members.nbci.com/MarkWA1ION/nfdxpage.htm
RF circuit page: http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/index.html

*** TRANS-ATLANTIC DX ***

549 | ALGERIA | Chaine 1, Les Trembles, JUN 2 0200 -
a cappella Arabic vocal, then time pips followed by
news. [Connelly*R-MA] + JUN 23 0426 - female Arabic
vocal; poor to fair. [Connelly*B-MA]

567 | IRELAND | RTE R.1, Tullamore, JUN 2 0120 -
in-studio discussion program in English; fair.
[Connelly*R-MA]

621 | CANARY ISLANDS // SPAIN | RNE R.1 synchros, Santa
Cruz de Tenerife et al., JUN 23 0427 - fast Spanish talk
by man; to fair peak. [Connelly*B-MA]

639 | SPAIN | RNE R.1, La Coruna, JUN 2 0116 - man with
Spanish talkshow; to good peak. [Connelly*R-MA]

675 | NETHERLANDS | R. 10, Lopik, JUN 2 0131 - "When I
Need You" by Leo Sayer, a couple of words in Dutch,
then "Surfer Girl" by the Beach Boys; fair to good
with WRKO phased. [Connelly*R-MA]

693.65 | AZORES | RDP, Santa Barbara | JUN 2 0113 - woman
in Portuguese; fair. [Connelly*R-MA]

747 | NETHERLANDS | Flevoland, JUN 2 0202 - Dutch talk,
piano music; fair. [Connelly*R-MA]

774 | SPAIN | RNE R.1 synchros, JUN 2 0100 - woman in
Spanish, Radio Nacional Espana mention; to fair peak.
[Connelly*R-MA]

1134 | CROATIA | Hrvatski R., Zadar, JUN 2 0107 - jazz,
Slav talk; good. [Connelly*R-MA]

1206 | FRANCE | France Bleu, Bordeaux, JUN 2 0031 - to loud
peak with US disco oldie. [Connelly*R-MA]

1359 | SPAIN | Arganda, MAY 30 0400 - time pips, then news
by man in Spanish; good. [Connelly*B-MA]

1521 | SPAIN | SER, Castellon, MAY 30 0408 - // 1575
with Spanish newstalk; poor. [Connelly*B-MA]

1530 | SAO TOME E PRINCIPE (t)| VOA Relay, Pinheira,
JUN 1 2323 - 1 kHz test tone in mix with WDJZ and WVBF.
Only heard with cardioid array set for eastern pick-up.
This station often runs such tone tests when not on
regular programming. [Connelly*R-MA]

1575 | SPAIN | SER synchros, MAY 30 0403 - SER Spanish
news // 1584; good. [Connelly*B-MA]

1583.64 | CEUTA | RadiOle, JUN 1 2321 - bits of talk and
music noted at pre-sunset fade-up. [Connelly*R-MA]

1584 | SPAIN | SER synchros, MAY 30 0403 - // 1575 with
Spanish news; to fair peak over Ceuta het. [Connelly*B-MA]

1602 | SPAIN | EI or SER | JUN 1 2320 - first TA pre-sunset
fade-in with bits of Spanish talk and het against WUNR.
[Connelly*R-MA]

*** COMMENTS ***

The Rockport, MA DX outing on JUN 1 featured a visit by Ron
Gitschier.  Ron, a former Lowell, MA resident presently in
the Navy and stationed in FL, had a good time listening
to the Trans-Atlantics, some of which (675, 1206, et al.)
got quite loud considering that it was 3 weeks before the
longest day of the year.  Ron's friend Bob and Boston
Area DXpedition regular Bruce Conti also participated
in the Granite Pier get-together.  Ron's comments follow.