[HCDX] EWE Antenna

--- Begin Message ---
Hi:

As many of you know I have replaced my old EWE antenna with a new one. I
had to, as the old one came down after 20 years, and there was an
electric fence between me and the old end (termination) of the old EWE's
location. I found I could not run one exactly the same direction as
before. My old one rain SW/NE with the lobe to the SW.The new one runs
WSW/ENE, with the lobe to the WSW. The vertical sections are at an angle
a bit more than I like, but at least I have improved on them. Littlle by
little I have been working, trying to get the old pattern back. I have
been getting close, very close. I tryed a counterpoise between the two
grounds (the one at the termination (5 copper rods) and the one on the
coax end (4 ground rods). That helped a bit but I was getting too much
background noise for some reason. I ran into to an interesting situation
the other day. While I was trying different comos of hooking in a
counterpoise I tryed hooking the ground from the coax end over to the
hot lead on my 40 foot vertical. The pattern improved a bit more. Not a
big difference, but it works better. The nulls on 630 (KCIS-Edmonds,
WA), leaving KWRO-Coquile OR in the clear are pretty good now. The null
on KGNW-820-Seattle is not quite a good as before. Close, but not quite
there. I can knock it down to 3-4 S Units, but not completely out, to
hear KORC-Waltport, OR in the clear. The K9AY antenna does a bit better
on that. But 1030 has KLLU-Reedsport in the lear with Shelton, WA way
behind, if I hear it all all.
   I am really a "nit picker" when it comes to my antennas. I try for
perfection. I know I will not get that, but I get a close as possible
and then some. hi.
   With TP/DU conditions so poor so far this early Fall, I think I have
been expecting too much. I am spoiled after years of excellent DX and
conditions.
   I have come to the conclusion that both the K9AY & EWE and indeed
working, but until cx improve the best antenna in the World wont do a
whole lot.  What can I do to improve that? Humnnn.......

73s,

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR

--- End Message ---