[HCDX] Pacific MW stations after World War II

[HCDX] Pacific MW stations after World War II

Several weeks ago, someone in Europe inquired on this list about station
KSAI in Saipan, wanting to know if it was legitimate. I have found
some new info to add. I was going through old copies of the MW club
bulletin "DX News" from 1995-1996, saving some tech articles before
disposing of the rest. They have a small feature called "DX Time Machine
(from the pages of DX News 50 years ago") and here are some comments
about stations heard then which are specific to the WW II Pacific operations:

Feb 24, 1945  California member Larry Yarnes reports strong signals
     on 1010 kcs from a station broadcasting in Japanese with "The United
     States of America" announcements, believed to be the new station
     on Saipan. (Ed. note Saipan is in the Marianas just north of Guam).

March 17, 1945  Armed Forces Radio WXLD - 660kcs 1000 watts began
     broadcasting from Saipan on March 1st.

March 23, 1945  Al Maley, Highland Falls, N.Y. reported veries from
     AFRS-1176 Algiers, and AFN-1204 Le Havre, France, while Pat
     Reilly, Jamestown, N.Y. reported a verie from KSAI-1010 Saipan.

Oct. 20, 1945  During the first two weeks of October, Al Bartholomew,
     Corning, N.Y. reported hearing WXLQ Bermuda, KSAI Saipan, WVUR
     New Hebrides, AFRS Canal Zone (and other TP's including 4YA over
     KGO-810). (Ed. note I believe WXLQ was on 1240 kcs)

Dec. 1, 1945  Phil Nichols of East Hartford, CT and Hilding Gustafson,
     Rockford, IL reported veries from WVUR-1045 New Hebrides.

Dec. 8, 1945  Due to high noise, Dick Cooper of Kittaning, PA was
     one of the few DXers to hear the DX program from WXLS-850,
     Narsarssauk, Greenland on Dec. 1st. He used a Hallicrafters SX-28A
     connected to the 285-foot tower of WISR-680 as the antenna.

Dec. 22, 1945  Phil Nichols, East Hartford, CT reported receiving a
     verie from WVTF, Hollandia, New Guinea. Hilding Gustafson heard
     the DX test from WXLS-850 Greenland mixed with 2CY.

Jan. 19, 1946  Phil Nichols, East Hartford, CT reported a verie from
     WVUQ Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, for reception on Dec. 6th.
     (Ed. Note, not sure but I think this may have been on 670 kc)

Feb 16, 1946  Al Bartholomew, Corning NY reported a verie from VOUS
     1460, Fort Pepperrell, Newfoundland

March 2, 1946  Gene Allen, Vallejo, CA reported heaing on Feb. 20th
     fifteen "J" stations (Japan) along with MTFY-670 Manchukuo (now
     Manchuria), WVLO-900 AFRS China, and JFAK-1020 Formosa
     (now Taiwan).

A fascinating look back in time at some of the history of the postwar
years, and the stations set up by the Allied Forces, and a dream of what
MW DX could be like at the bottom of a sunspot cycle on clear freq's
with no light dimmers or TV set noise etc.

I hope this will add a small bit to the history of DXing that is hard to research.

World Radio TV Handbook 2002 will be out soon!
You can get yours for $17.46 + shipping + possible tax in some states.
Please visit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823059332/hardcoredxcom
And while you buy it, you'll also support Hard-Core-DX. Thank you.