Re: [HCDX] An unusual log on 1640kHz

This is easy! Often TIS stations will rebroadcast NOAA audio because it is always on and current and provides a reason for motorists to tune in until the station operators the get their digital audio recorders installed. I've noticed on I-80 in PA the new TIS stations saying "This is test message 7" or similar. Yawn! The weather audio is public domain (no need to obtain rights or worry about rebroadcasting commercials,) a better attention-getter and very easy to obtain over-the-air(probably by simple scanner). Many TIS/HAR stations nationwide are now configured to default to NOAA audio or use it as part of their broadcasts. In any case, congratulations! This is a really nice catch for anywhere in Ohio. Karl N2KZ

From: Lighthouse9564@xxxxxxx
To: globe-radio-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Globe-Radio-Dx-List), frw@xxxxxxx, yukon@xxxxxx, niel@xxxxxxxx, Lighthouse9564@xxxxxxx, greg-majewski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, clobdell@xxxxxxxxx, cumbreeditor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gayle@xxxxxxxxx, english@xxxxxxxxxxx, cumbreeditor@xxxxxxxxxxxx, wghauser@xxxxxxxxxxx, wghauser@xxxxxxxxx, tarantodx@xxxxxxxxxxx, gayle@xxxxxxxxxxxx, wavescan@xxxxxxx, gdex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ayoder@xxxxxxx, JoeFLIPS@xxxxxxx, Popularcom@xxxxxxx, georgez@xxxxxxxx, mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx (Patrick Martin)
Subject: [HCDX] An unusual log on 1640kHz
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:40:36 EDT

Okay, here's one to "stump the star" DXers:
Even with the geomagnetic disturbance I can
not think of an explanation for this and in 20+
years of DXing have never had this happen:

1640kHz AM (Mediumwave),  0255-0310+ UTC,
(which is 2255-2310 local time)    NOAA
Weather Service broadcast continuous loop
audio tape.  I am hearing the electronic voice of the
NOAA weather service message and foreceast for
Northwest Pennsylvania and others in the region !!!
The other stations I usually hear on 1640kHz are
also seem to be present.   This NOAA service is normally
on VHF around 162MHz FM - depending on where one lives.
(SINPO = 23332)   (Silvi, Mentor Ohio USA, April 21)

World Radio TV Handbook 2002 is out!
You can get yours for $17.47 + shipping + possible tax in some states.
Please visit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823059332/hardcoredxcom
And while you buy it, you'll also support Hard-Core-DX. Thank you.