[HCDX] Loggings from Victoria, BC

This week, the emphasis was on new Catholic Radio Network from Vanimo, PNG. Best reception this morning by far. Good DX and please spend a moment remembering the vets on this 60th anniversary of D-Day.

COSTA RICA 13750.7, 0102-, World University Network Jun 2 Cahuita, Costa Rica on at fair level with ramblings of Dr. Gene Scott. Parallels noted include: 6090 (Anguilla) good, 9724.96 (Cahuita) good, but over cochannel ?Golos Rossii, 13845 (WWCR) excellent. When rechecked at 0455, 9724.95 is very strong, 13750 is off, 5029.1 fair and 6149.92 fair (both also Costa Rica), 6090 excellent, 7375 is off the air, and 5935 (WWCR) excellent, 5755 (KAIJ) excellent. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

BRAZIL 11925.20, 0110-, Radio Bandeirantes Jun 2 Poor to fair reception with Portuguese talk, parallel to 31m on 9645.04 which is at fair to good level. Lots of static crashes. Mentions of Sao Paulo. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

GUAM 13362.0, 0518-, AFRTS Jun 2 Fair to good reception of AFRTS on exactly 13362 and not on split frequency 500 Hz higher. Time line today, then business news. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

?URUGUAY 9620.9, 0504-, SODRE Jun 4 Tantalizing het heard on this frequency, but spoiled by CBC Northern Quebec service on 9625, but they are signing off as we speak. Should make SODRE a possibility after this time. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 4960, 1013-, Catholic Radio Network (CRN) Jun 5 Heard with continuous talk from tune-in at 0955 at poor to fair level. No definite ID at TOH, but did hear Vatican Radio IS at 10:05 over cochannel with modern pop music station (Radio Federacion? Vanuatu? Radio Cima, DR?). Audio clip of George Bush 'United States Army' at 10:07:45. Signal definitely improving. At 1019, the Latin suddenly faded up dominating the channel. CRN either dropped out completely, or faded way down. Catchy Spanish dance tune at fair to good level. It's grayline to Santa Domingo, and shortly for Sucua, Ecuador. I'm assuming the LA will dominate the frequency for the next half hour or so, and then fade, leaving CRN in the clear. Channel spoiled by ute, mostly on USB from about 1045. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 4960, 1000-, Catholic Radio Network Jun 6 From 0955 tune-in. Much stronger signal with talk mostly by YL. Vatican Radio IS at 1000. Interview with male subsequently (?Marcel) in English. Although stronger, more atmospheric noise. Best heard with my K9AY. No sign so far of LA station. As yesterday, signal improved. By 10:10 fairly easy to follow English news broadcast (ie stories from Geneva, etc). Same female announcer, whom I'm finding a bit hard to follow compared to the male. Vatican IS once, again at 03:14:12. 60th anniversary of Normandy invasion at 10:20. National Network on 4890 measures S9 at my QTH compared to S3 to S5 for CRN. Vatican IS again at 10:33:30 followed by Gregorian type chant followed by definite ID by YL as 'This is the Catholic Radio Network broadcasting from ?'. First time I've heard a positive ID!. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.