[HCDX] Loggings from Victoria, BC

Conditions have been quite good of late after a pretty dismal summer. Worthwhile dusting off the radios and checking the antennae. These loggings were all from my urban/suburban home mostly using a JRC NRD 535D. Good DX!

PERU 6020.25, 0812-, Radio Victoria Sep 4 Quite an exceptional night with very strong signals all evening with Spanish religious talk by a male preacher. Best I've ever heard here. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 4890, 0831-, NBC Port Moresby Sep 4 Decent late summer conditions with usual EZL country music with a fair amount of splatter. About an S-5 signal at 0130 local time. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

MYANMAR 5040.41, 14:06-, Radio Myanmar Sep 4 Nice clean signal with minorities programmming with talk by YL. Surprisingly strong with excellent modulation. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

INDIA 4970, 1414-, AIR Shillong Sep 4 Weak audio heard with Indian music, but talk subaudible about an hour post sunrise. Quite a good opening, as many other 60 m Indians have about the same level carriers, as well as 4902 Sri Lanka. Best audio on 4775 (AIR Imphal). (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

INDONESIA 4749.96, 1423-, RRI Makassar Sep 4 Besides Malaysia on 4895, this is the strongest station on the band at this time. S5 to S6 signal with modern Indonesian music. Cleaner audio than I'm used to for Indos. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

INDONESIA 4604.97, 1425-, RRI Serui Sep 4 Fair to good signal strength with Indonesian call-in show with lots of 'yeh, yeh' as DJ responded to caller. More usual muddy audio, but quite decent signal. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

INDONESIA 4000.19, 1433-, RRI Kendari Sep 4 Must be call in hour in Indonesia. Another call in show at poor level. Not parallel to 4605 (I checked just in case). (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

INDONESIA 3976.04, 1436-, RRI Pontianak Sep 4 Great signal except for some ham QRM, with what sounds like a children's story, with filler orchestral music in the background (could also be the audio feed from a TV program). (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

AUSTRALIA 15390, 1448-, HCJB Australia Sep 4 American accented preacher in English at fair level. Best using my R390A with SE-3. DXPL started at 1500, at fair level. Improving to good level by 15:12. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

ICELAND 9980, 0431-, AFRTS Sep 5 Great reception of Iceland tonight, with Madonna's 'Like a Virgin', sung by another female artist. A repeat of great conditions again tonight? Parallel to 7590 just as strong, but spoiled somewhat by ute, but solved by PBT. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

PERU 6020.32, 0434-, Radio Victoria Sep 5 Incredible reception again tonight of this Peruvian S5 to S7 signal with excellent modulation. Latins, unlike on the east coast do not propagate well to the Pacific north-west. Most sign off before our local sunset, and the Grayline does not favour the west coast, so it's always a treat to hear such a strong Latin. The exception in my experience is Brazil, which seems to propagate much better and are more reliable on all bands than other central and south American stations. Program 'La Voz de la Revolucion' (excuse my Spanish, if it's incorrect) began at 04:49. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

BRAZIL 9675, 0524-, Radio Cancao Nova Sep 5 Religious preaching by a male minister, with good reception in Portuguese. Adjacent channel RAI chirping bird IS at 05:25 (Romanian listed at 05:30 on 9670). (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

NEW ZEALAND 3935.07, 1312-, ZLXA Sep 5 Finally heard again with poor to fair levels with presumed National Radio relay. Western modern female vocal. This station at one time provided regular good reception, but has deteriorated for many years. Nice to hear again in an suburban environment with only a modest antenna. 5 + 1 time pips and time check for ?2 o'clock and into National news program at 14:00. Signal is at fair levels. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

CHINA 3280, 1355-, Voice of Pujiang, Shanghai Sep 5 Fair reception with Chinese talk and traditional Chinese instrumental music. Not listed in ILG, but is in DBS. Parallel to 4950. Strangely, best heard on a vertical cut for 10 meters!. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

INDONESIA 3325, 1356-, RRI Palangkaraya Sep 5 Something strange about propagation. Again I can hear this one best with a vertical cut for 10 m! Weak Indonesian programming and EZL vocal Indo music. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

INDONESIA 3944.98, 1403-, RRI Ternate Sep 5 Call in program with usual Indo muffled audio, but at fair level. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

KOREA (SOUTH) 3912, 1407-, Voiceof the People Sep 5 I notice that this one is not listed in the DBS for some reason, but is in ILG. Fair signal with female talk in Korean. Due to local QRM, not sure if it's jammed or not. Parallel to much stronger 6600. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

INDONESIA 3976.07, 1410-, RRI Pontianak Sep 5 Great reception with news in Bahasa Indonesia. Slight muffle as usual for Indo transmitter. Suspect business news, as there is talk of 'Intercom'. Frequent jingles between items. Strongest Indo on 90 or 75 meters. (Salmaniw, Victoria, BC)

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.