  From: Thomas Giella KN4LF
  To: a DXLD Yahoo eGroup ; a HCDX e-List
  Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 12:20 AM
  Subject: Tropical SW Bands Virtually Empty

  I've been doing allot of listening on the tropical bands the last two days both during the early morning and evening local time. What I've found is that compared to as recently as 2003 and 2002, 120 meters is empty, most of the African stations are now gone on 90 and 60 meters, same with Papua New Guinea and other Pacific Ocean stations. Even most of the Central/South American Stations are gone. Heck even all the Mexican stations on 49 meters during the day are gone also.

  I remember how back in the 1990's and 1980's the tropical bands were full of stations from all around the world, with every 3-5 kc full of co-channel stations with plenty of hets. I realize that many are gone due to transmitter failure, economic reasons and migration to FM BUT it's still a sad state of affairs.

  73,
  Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
  Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
  Plant City, FL, USA
  Grid Square EL87WX
  Lat & Long 27 58 33.6397 N 82 09 52.4052 W
  kn4lf@xxxxxxxx

  PropNET Beacon Program: http://www.propnet.org
  HCDX Propagation Channel: http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.php?topic=Propagation
  KN4LF Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive: http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf5.htm