Re: [HCDX] Dxers Unlimited's script weekend edition 17-18 Februrary 2007

Radio Havana Cuba
Dxers Unlimited
Dxers Unlimited’s weekend edition for 17-18 February 2007
By Arnie Coro
Radio amateur CO2KK

Hi amigos radioaficioanados around the world and in space, welcome to
the weekend edition of your favorite radio hobby program , I am Arnie
Coro in Havana, and here is item one… its related to the ongoing solar
cycle’s minimum… When  HF propagation conditions are poor, then it’s
time to enjoy many other aspects of the radio hobby, like homebrewing
receivers , installing new VHF and UHF antennas, and even attempting to
do some interesting radio astronomy experiments like listening to planet
Jupiter’s rather easy to pick up signals on frequencies within reach of
many short wave receivers and using very simple , easy to install
antennas . If you happen to have an amateur’s band Yagi antenna capable
of operating on the 15 meters or 21 megahertz ham band, then you will
certainly be able to pick up Jupiter’s natural radio signals regularly…
By the way, they sound like waves slowly moving over a sandy beach, and
going back again…
Stay tuned for more radio hobby related information and know how coming
to you from Havana. I’ll be back in just a few seconds amigos !!!
…..
Si amigos, sure, after many years of enjoying the radio hobby, I am
still fascinated when setting the alarm clock for two o’clock or three
o’clock in the morning and getting ready for yet another medium wave AM
broadcast band Dxing session… Last evening was no exception, except that
I didn’t need an alarm clock, because my little two years old baby
Claudia likes to wake up around that time asking for her milk bottle…
Roxana my wife woke up first and was already  changing the baby’s diaper
when my new super-regenerodyne receiver was already picking up its first
DX station, one that I use as a propagation beacon, because I know the
power its delivering to the antenna and its location East of my QTH
gives a very good idea about ionospheric absorption especially as
sunrise approaches. It is Radio Rebelde’s 600 kiloHertz relay in San
German, Holguin province of eastern Cuba… The signal coming in from this
station was excellent, so I moved up to the top end of the AM broadcast
band, but checking the local time, and making the conversion to UTC, I
sadly realized it was already too late to try to pick up European
stations… Maybe tomorrow, as almost ideal AM broadcast band propagation
conditions will almost surely continue, little baby Claudia will wake up
a little earlier, and I will be able to pick up at least one or two
Europeans, that by the way, for your information, in case you are not
familiar with that fact, operate on a 9 kiloHertz channel spacing, so
their presence is many times learned by the whistling heterodynes caused
by their carriers beating with stations in the Americas that operate on
a 10 kiloHertz channel spacing. The new super-regenerodyne, especially
built for the low ebb of the solar cycle, runs the regenerative detector
in the frequency range from 100 to 500 kiloHertz, so tuning up the whole
AM broadcast band required splitting it into3 segments, starting on 520
kiloHertz and ending slightly above 1700 kiloHertz. Lacking the quartz
crystals for the frequency conversion, I used a highly stable Franklyn
type oscillator for the first conversion with excellent results. To
receive the segment from 520 to 920 kiloHertz, the Franklyn oscillator
works at a fixed frequency of 620 kiloHertz, something that is not a
very nice solution because it completely blocks reception on several
channels… The segment from 920 to 1320 kiloHertz, requires the local
oscillator of the first conversion to operate on 1020 kiloHertz, and
here again several channels are blocked. The third and last segment of
the AM band , from 1320 to 1700 kiloHertz requires the local oscillator
to operate on 1420 kiloHertz, so I have the same problem with several
channels lost to the presence of the local oscillator signal within the
passband of frequencies that I want to listen to… But, let me say that
despite this design flaw, of which I was fully aware, the sensitivity
and selectivity of this AM broadcast band receiver is simply amazing.
The operation of a regenerative detector at frequencies as low as 20
kiloHertz makes the control of regeneration as smooth as one can
imagine, so you can operate the detector at its highest selectivity
setting allowing for single side band reception, something quite useful
when hunting for transatlantic AM band DX stations. Now that I have
obtained such an interesting experience with this radio, a new one will
be built, in which the AM broadcast band will be up converted to the
frequency range from 28 to 29.2 megaHertz…, using a specially designed
quartz crystal controlled converter and a double balanced mixer… The
“tail end” of this up converter is going to be my single band 10 meters
transceiver, that due to the diminishing solar activity will see little
use to communicate during the next several years, but could play a
useful role as yet another AM DX receiver tail end… By the way, the
upconversion needed a single quartz crystal for the local oscillator,
that fortunately happened to be in my junk box !!!
…….

Yesterday I made contact with two long time ham radio friends, one was
vacationing in the Caribbean and talking to me on 17 meters from the
balcony of his hotel room, using a helically wound antenna just 2 meters
high… and the other was enjoying a stay with one of his daughters that
lives in a farm and was using a real long wire antenna, no less than 400
feet long… We had very nice QSO’s, and for those of you that are not
familiar with that term, its an abbreviation for a two way contact used
by the early days radio operators… I’ll have a bit more time to be on
the air during the next 10 days or so, and expect to have many more
opportunities of meeting with ham radio operators around the world …The
best bands for making contacts during the winter season are, 17 and 20
meters during local daytime hours, and 40 and 80 meters during your
local evenings, but we may see brief openings on 15 meters  too.
…..

Now here is the very popular technical topics section of the program…
Operating your radios from rechargeable batteries requires taking care
of them, so that they will really last the number of expected cycles. It
is amazing to see how expensive rechargeable batteries are sometimes
turned into worthless units because their owners didn’t take proper care
of them… Gaining knowledge about the characteristics of nickel cadmium,
nickel metal hydride or lithium ion rechargeable batteries is very
useful , because if you apply the know-how, your batteries will live a
lot longer. My advice is that you simply forget about nickel cadmium
batteries, and buy, from now on, nickel metal-hydride units,as they can
provide more operating time on the same size of battery, and also don’t
have the so called memory effect of the nickel cadmium old technology
batteries. Recent advances in the design of chargers for the nickel
metal hydride cells make possible a much longer useful life of those units.
And don’t forget that the lithium-ion batteries do require a special
charger and can not be charged with any other type of charger, as they
may be destroyed or even explode if improperly charged…
Also, let me add that I prefer to run my receivers, whenever possible,
using batteries, as by using them, noise coming in from the power line
is simply reduced to zero !!!

…….
Receiving here lots of nice e-mail messages, post cards and letters
here, and also a few FAX letters too. Keep them coming amigos, is always
nice to read your comments about the program that are full of new ideas
to make Dxers Unlimited a bit better on every new edition.
Item three: The ultra compact dipole antenna that I talked about here
recently edition here on Dxers Unlimited continues to bring in lots of
questions among listeners around the world. The most frequently asked
question about this topic, was if this could be designed as a broadband
antenna, and the answer amigos is NO, the ultra compact dipoles designs
are narrow band antennas, that most be built for operating on a single
amateur radio band if you want to transmit with them, but that may be
used for short wave listening over a much wider range of
frequencie.Amigos Lester, Charlie and Albert, frequent Dxers Unlimited
listeners asked thee possibility of using the compact dipole in a
vertical configuration to obtain a lower radiation angle ... Si amigos,
yes, you are right, the compact inductively and capacitively loaded
dipole is ideal for installing it in a totally vertical or sloping
configuration. As a matter of fact, I have just recently seen a
commercial antenna design that follows that idea pretty closely...But
personally I prefer to use this antenna as a very efficient sloper,
because it provides a small but significant gain in the direction
towards  which the wire is sloping.
The ideal sloping angle is between 30 and 45 degrees, in order to form
the best possible directional pattern with the ground reflection...
……
A quick reply to a question sent to our ASK ARNIE section of the show…
Yes amigo Craig from Toronto, Canada, you are absolutely
right in your analysis… not all compact fluorescent energy saving
light bulbs are created equal, in other words you may install new ones
that are extremely quiet , that is they almost don’t generate radio
frequency interference at  all,while others similarly rated may wipe our
short wave reception far away from where the energy saving light bulb is
installed… And don’t be surprised with some commercial brands of energy
saver fluorescent causing problems with your TV set and VCR remote
controls too… In more than one occasion I have seen remote control
systems that work using infra red signals go crazy when an energy saver
light bulb was installed near the TV and VCR … Things returned back to
normal by just turning the light OFF !!! Of course that the only cure
for the problem is replacing the energy saver with a better quality one,
or even better yet, try one of the new Ultra Bright Light Emitting diode
lamps, but check that they don’t use a switched mode power supply inside
the bulb, before buying it…

Preorder your WRTH 2007: