About Radio Uganda and other cares (HI)

This is a message from Robert Joosten <nl11891@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Dan !

>Do you believe that the stations care to know their frequency to the
>nearest ten hertz?  The answer is NO.  They probably don't even have a
>frequency meter that reads that accurately.  It looks impressive in items
>on hard-core-dx, but it really isn't...The transmitters probably aren't
>that stable, and neither is your ear able to hear down to the nearest ten
>hz.  Most people's hearing stops about 20 hz.  Therefore, reporting these
>details are probably not representative of what others may hear.

Well, that's your opinion. I find it an interesting thing to log.
A few weeks ago, a dutch DX-er reported that in the morning the freq varied
plus 20 kHz above the listed freq, and in the eving minus 40 or so.
Temperature in-stabability ?

I like these details a lot. It's more interesting than to log from what
artist they play the music. But that's a very personal thing most people
don't share with me. Maybe, in future, I could write 3340,12 or only 3340v ??

That's the reason why I posted this reply via the list:

**  Anyone else's opinion about this ?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
**  Is it necesarry to log so precisely as possible ?
    (And if you do, also state your receiver ofcourse, maybe an particular
receiver has got an 'natural' variation)

Secondly: THAT WAS the frequency they broadcasted, and not 3340 zero beat.
And: Yes I know they do NOT have a meter there (prop.). From what I've read
the past years, technical managers don't care. The receivers which the
listeners use in the country, aren't that stable to even note that minor
"off-set" - because that's wat it is -, on behalf a few. So why bother ?

>The phenomena that you mentioned tho, is interesting.  Have you gotten any
>replies that would explain it?

No, not yet. IF they come. But Mark Veldhuis (NL), also noted that RTV
Malienne (4835 and 4783), shifted a few kiloCycles an time ago.
Maybe this is an usally thing within Africa at certain stations.

Maybe, R Uganda remarked that the transmitter on 3340 wasn't good enough for
some reason.
Or they want 3 channels on SW.
I Have no idea. It's strange to keep up with 3340.
They've got thus 3 transmitters or transmit-facilities ! (If the carrier on
3340 really originate from Uganda; I cannot check directions)

>Keep up the good work.
Thank You. I see that as an comliment.

Please don't think this reply is a direct flame.
Some people only listen, other collect QSL's, study propagation etc etc.
And I find it interesting to log the more technical site (if you know what I
mean).
But maybe you're right: just type in 3340 and keep the rest (3,34012) for my
logbook.

Like to wish you Good DX !

Robert Joosten.
Another member of BDXC...