Re: [HCDX]: Re: A Index & MW DXing

At 21.34 8.1.1998 +11, you wrote:
>While on the discussion of good MW conditions.. has anyone come up with any
>good theory on what conditions are likely to be like regarding the A Index
or
>in our case the K Index..

I think that the lower the K and A-index is the better, but they have to
low for some days before the conditions really improve. But a least this
stratospheric warming can spoil everything. I think it was in 1987 we had
low A and K for a long time and yet nothing special was heard from North
America. Now around Christmas we have the stratwarm alert on again, but the
warming has been over Siberia and still stays there. I checked that
direction (Asia) and heard nothing special from there while North America
was booming in. Did you have stratosphere warming during Christmas?
In the 80's I also experienced A index going up to 15 and it spoiled
nothing maybe because it came back so quickly to 1 the next day.
I think that when there is some VERY slight activity in the geom. field,
the K-index given every three hours doesn't give a full picture of the
thing. It may show 0 and there still is activity and the results are poor.
It should be a kind of average of measurements maybe each half hour.
These are my humble thoughts just from experience of about 25 years and to
talk about this in English is even more difficult! A real theory on these
things would be really interesting.

73 Mauno