Re: [HCDX]: Unfair DX ???

I'm sorry to say that I do not see the point of your friend's views.  My
use of recordings limit itself, since I find it rather boring using hours
on end going through endless amounts of tapes.  Still, I do use unattended
tapes, both when DX-ing with two receivers, and when I use a timer for
on-the-hour recording on interesting frequencies while asleep.

Now, what's wrong with it?  However, there is more to the hobby than just
being able to pick more than one station at a time.  What about those
(admittedly few!) using professional receivers at the USD 50.000 price
level?  What about those using an antenna farm of 16 beverages like those
in Lemmenjoki? What about those living in extremely low signal areas
compared to city dwellers?  Wouldn't that be unfair too, in your friend's
eyes?

And, while you're at a good location, you would want to make the most of
it, wouldn't you?

Bjarne
--------------------
This email is sent from:
Bjarne Mjelde, Box 58, N-9980 Berlevag, Norway
Phone home +47 789 81566, phone work +47 789 81719
Fax work +47 789 81690
Receivers:  AOR AR7030, K+D KWZ 30
Email fiskeribase.mjelde@xxxxxxxx
--------------------

----------
> From: khonzik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [HCDX]: Unfair DX ???
> Date: 09. februar 1998 21:23

> From:     Karel Honzik                         Date: 09 FEB 1998 (Monday)
>      Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC (Czechia), Europe
>      khonzik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> ** As the Sun sinks slowly in the west, it is time for another DX session
**

> Hello fellow DXers,
>
> maybe it is time for another discussion within our HCDX "society".
> I came to this idea after I met my friend (a DXer too) with whom
> I shared my experiences from a MW DXpedition to Blokhus, Denmark where
> I spent two weeks with my friends from Germany.
>
> I told my friend about excellent conditions at the end of December
> and I said that it was a pity that we had not more receivers and tape
> recorders to tape more stations than we could catch by simple tuning
> up and down the AM band.
>
> My friend was listening for a while and then he said:
> "But it is not fair! Would you really be pleased of such stations that
> a machine recorded for you and you just came later and picked them up
> from the tape? I do not know if I would display QSL cards of such
stations
> to other DXers saying - look what stations I catched on a DXpedition.
> I think the only fair way is to discover the station, to choose the
> right antenna, to get rid of noise and QRM by choosing the USB or LSB
etc.
> Then comes the real joy that I managed (by my own means) to do the
> whole process untill the final identification and writing down of the
> programme details".
>
> That is what my friend said. I tried to explain that it is almost
> a regular praxis that DXers bring tapes from DXpeditions for further
> studies, I tried to show an example of people collecting for example
> beetles - they also did not catch all their beetles with their own hands,
> they laid traps and came a day later to see what is inside...
> But my examples did not help to change my friend:s mind...
>
> What do you say - you DXpeditionists who bring home 100 or 200 hours
> of recorded "mess"; what do you say - you DXers who let your machines
> "DX" for you while you are in work or outside with your girlfriend :-)
>
> I know that, for example, in Scandinavia (Finland, Sweden, Norway,
Denmark)