Re: [HCDX]: Korean random numbers stations

Re: [HCDX]: Korean random numbers stations

Willi,

	I agree with Sonny; this is most likely a Korean random numbers
station.  Although it is easier to hear these stations on the
west coast of North America, they have been heard on the East Coast.
In Korea, I heard these stations frequently at 1500 UT even on the
PBS MW frequencies and at other times on random frequencies.

	The diction of the announcers calling off the numbers can sound like
a southeast Asian language to the uninitiated ear.

	Most often, the numbers are in five digit groups and there is a
definite pattern to the numbers. The number groups are nine syllables
long.  The second syllable is "man" (the "a" sound equals "ah") for
ten thousand, the fourth syllable is "chon" for thousand, the sixth
syllable is "beck", and the eighth syllable is "ship" or "shim".
EXAMPLE: The number nine is "ku" in Korean, then if the announcer
were calling out 99,999 it would sound like "ku man, ku chon, ku
beck, ku ship, ku." Or literally "nine ten thousand, nine thousand,
nine hundred, ninety, nine."

Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland