[HCDX]: Re: antennas

At 17.16 26.1.1999 -0500, you wrote:
>> Subject: Re: [HCDX]: No more Beverages, please...
>> Would like to second DanF  on this. I find the beverage information
>> interesting.
>>  Robert Wilkner
>[Bob Foxworth]  I agree absolutely. If this was just another
>antenna, you (Vesa) may
>have a point. This is not just another antenna, it is one of the
>few tools left to the
>North American and world DXer to keep alive the ever-dimishing
>hope of hearing real DX
>on MW band (thanks to the many new stations, QRM etc and noise
>sources we have today).
>Anything we can do to spread the info and shared knowledge is
>worthwhile.

	I don't know what Vesa's point was. I thought every DXer would have
interest in improving his reception conditions. Of course most of us can't
use Beverages all the time, but I encourage everyone, who is interested in
MW listening, at least to try them. Even one night's listening in a car
with one or two 200 metre long wire(s) can change one's whole attitude
towards MW-DXing. These modern compact receivers are so easy to take with
you anywhere. One guy in Finland goes for DX-peditions by bike with a tent
and he makes nice catches.
	When I first asked a question about baluns and impedance matching on this
and amfmtvdx-list, I didn't expect much. But I got some invaluable
information on MW-listening. There's a lot of contradiction in opinions
about Beverages and certainly everything can't be found in the books. Some
people answered to my questions off the list, and the discussion continued
for a while. Some people didn't want to share their knowledge with me and
the others, let them be happy with it. But now I know a lot more about
Beverages. Now I understand better for example that impedance matching
isn't the main issue on MW. Thanks everyone.
	But there's an alternative for smaller space. K9AY was used during the
Newfoundland DX-pedition along with Beverages. I'd very much like to know
if someone has used it in Europe for MW-DXing. Can it really be compared
with Beverages, surely not at least for daytime listening? But if it were
even nearly as good as a couple of Beverages, it would be ideal for those
with no possibility for Beverages.

Looking forward to having a lively discussion!

Mauno