Re: [HCDX]: Vatican Radio on 527 kHz

At 21:21 15/09/99 +0200, Aart Rouw wrote :
>Dear fellow DX-ers,
>This is not top-DX but a simple question that bothered me for a while :
>With a certain regularity I can receive Vatican Radio on 527 kHz. At my
QTH, reception is often spoilt by splashes from Switzerland on nearby 531.
Trying to get a clearer signal by listening in LSB mode, I have noticed
that the LSB signal is apparently absent (or considerably reduced). USB is
OK. Does someone know if indeed Vatican Radio transmits in a carrier + USB
mode on this frequency ? If so, why ? (it seems more logical to take a
carrier + LSB mode to avoid interference from 531).

>Regards,
>Aart Rouw
>Bühl, Germany
>AR7030 + 15m longwire

True, it would be better as far as interference is concerned. Actually they
are on 526.5 (at least they were there last time I checked), which is the
lower limit of the mediumwave band. (The lower "official" channel being
531, 4.5 kHz for each SB makes 526.5 the lower limit of the band.)

If they used LSB, the side band would be outside the BC band.

Also they do not worry too much about inferference from Switzerland 531
kHz, since the Vatican station is only meant for local coverage and locally
they are far stronger than the Beromunster station.

Remy Friess
Montbeliard, France.