[HCDX]: DX Locations

Just recently I have tried DXing from high up in Alpine regions without much success. I'm just wondering whether anybody else has made observations from Dxing in the hills compared to Sea level. It may have been conditions but I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time.

Does Dxing higher up have any different effects?

I've always been of the opinion that listening close to the ocean was by far and away the best place to Dx from. Nothing has really changed my mind about this.

Last night I drove to a mountain location and put out 400m along a ridge. The only hassle about doing this was that the beverage height was not constant.. It was up and down quite a bit and weaved in places. However I feel propagation conditions were the main reason for not hearing very much on MW.

I'm a bit of a stickler for straight bevs.. Most of my really good dx has been heard on antenna systems that were straight and the same height.. However some good dx has come in on weaving snakes. Again it might have been good conditions - pity it's not practical to compare a straight and weaving bev at various heights and twists.

Any thoughts on Dxing at altitude?

73
David Onley
Melbourne, Australia