RE: [HCDX]: PNG and Solomons heard

Mark:

The "dBm" is the signal strength unit used by the HF-1000. There is
probably a way to convert it to uV/m but I don't know what it is. The
new Ten-Tec RX-340 "S" meter apparently has both a "dBm" scale and an
"S" meter scale. The good thing is the "dBm" is a scientific and useable
method of recording signal strength. The HF-1000 has a 10 dBm "pre-amp"
you can use if the signal is extremely weak and ambient noise is low.
The Vanuatu signal I logged [ex-Solomons :)] actually was improved by
using the pre-amp. I think this is the first time I have ever seen this
happen. I sure am looking forward to the day I can buy a Ten-Tec RX-340
and do an A/B with the HF-1000. That day is probably at least 18 months
off. Has anybody gotten their hands on an RX-340 yet? I sure am glad
somebody stepped into the gap with a top end unit once WJ bit the dust
with the HF-1000. The TenTec is $1,000 plus less than the new WJ
"replacement". Also, you may not need the SE-3 for the RX-340, so that's
another $500 saved.

Right now thanks to the Sherwood SE-3 I'm getting great reception of the
Egyptians [Radio Cairo] on 9.9 MHz using LSB. Otherwise it would be
pretty much of a wash. Time is 0211Z 4/27/2000. Signal strength is -77
dBm [if you measure the signal strength in the LSB mode it appears to
be -95 dBm]. I try to only measure signal strength in the AM 8 KHz
bandwidth AM mode for consistency.

Thomas B. Roach
Listening with Watkins-Johnson HF-1000
Antenna: Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper
QTH: California's Sierra Nevada mountain foothills