[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-67 May 18

[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-67 May 18

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-67, May 18, 2000 edited by Glenn Hauser

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages. DXLD may not be reposted in
its entirety without permission. Other DX publications quoting from
DXLD, even second-hand, must reciprocate with exchange copies of
their publications}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1036: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1036.html

WORLD OF RADIO ON WDWN. Dear Glenn, I wanted to drop you a line and
let you know that World Of Radio is Indeed being carried in the
Finger Lakes region of New York state via WDWN 89.1 FM from Cayuga
Community College in Auburn, NY. It is heard here early Sunday
mornings [1:30 am EDT]. I was delighted to hear someone say they
listened to World Of Radio on WDWN through WRN. I am a student at the
college studying broadcasting, but will soon be graduating from
there, and will not have any more connections with the station. I
tell you this because I have some unfortunate news, the management at
our station has decided that WRN does not fit the main "format" of
WDWN, therefore, they plan to do away with WRN as soon as they can
program a multiple CD changing system to run so-called "Alternative
music" overnights instead.

I am saddened by this decision as I was the one who suggested we
carry WRN overnights. However, there may be something that World Of
Radio listeners can do. WDWN does simulcast its programs, including
WRN relays on the net. This is done through our web site,
http://www.wdwn.fm I would encourage ANY person who listens to WRN
via WDWN to contact the station or maybe even the administration at
the college direct, and tell them that they want WRN to continue on
WDWN. They can send e-mail to wdwn@xxxxxxxxxxx or p-mail to WDWN
Cayuga Community College, 197 Franklin Street Auburn, NY 13021. The
station is primarily student run but our faculty advisor/general
manager is named Steve Keeler. I would encourage people to contact
him regarding this issue. And I'd encourage anyone in the world who
can hear our station to write, even though WRN can be heard elsewhere
for longer periods, I would be sad to see WRN disappear from the
local airwaves. Thank you for any publicity you can give to this
issue. I hope we can keep WRN and thus World Of Radio on WDWN. Thanks
again. Best regards, (Jake Longwell, May 16)

I see that ``Win 89`` uses RealAudio, mainly concerned with local
music programming from 6 pm to midnight, no mention found of WRN
after midnight. Support the cause! (gh)

** BANGLADESH. 9558, Bangladesh Betar in pretty well two days in a
row May 14-15 for English 1230-1300, at least in terms of signal
strength. Interval signal 1229 matching the one on Dave Kernick's
website, but as others have noted, the ID announcement--if there IS
one--is WAY down in the mud! News by woman at 1232 (15 May), with
mentions of Bangladeshi prime minister, Sierra Leone etc. Commentary
1236 on Bangla prime minister setting up a new institute of science
and technology. Into lively Bengali pop music & vocals; man can be
heard talking every few minutes, but no modulation (music comes
through loud'n'clear for the most part). Sign-off announcement by man
1259:30 again indistinct/inaudible; carrier off almost immediately.
Lots of slop from 9560, so listened in LSB. (Randy Stewart,
Springfield MO, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BHUTAN. The "Bhutan 2000 DXpedition Team" is now QRT as A52A from
"The Pine Wood Hotel" in Thimphu as of Friday, May 12th. According to
their Web page, as of May 12th (0227z), the team made a little over
82,000 QSOs. The breakdown of QSOs are: CW/42088, SSB/37263 and
RTTY/2736. The breakdown on the bands are as follows:

      160m  80m   40m   30m   20m    17m    15m    12m    10m    6m
      ----  ----  ----  ----  ----   ----   ----   ----   ----   ---
 CW - 143   970   2038  3107  9989   6843   11177  4247   3476    98
SSB -  0    174   1275    0   9278   6525   12592  3513   3768   138
RTTY -  0     0      1     0    953     0     1477    0     305     0

The number 2 most wanted entity should be history now in the top ten.
Remember to QSL only to W0GJ via the bureau or direct to: Glenn
Johnson, 14164 Irvine Ave NW, Bemidji, MN 56601 USA. QSL CARDS WILL
BE AT THE DAYTON HAMVENTION. Carl, N4AA, from "QRZ DX" reports bring
your card(s) with you and "ONLY YOUR CARDS". Members of the A52A team
will be at Booth #313 (DX Publishing) from 1 to 4 PM on Friday and
Saturday. The Team will also be in the foyer outside of the SWODXA DX
Dinner Banquet at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Friday evening ONLY. The
"TEAM" requests that you ask for your OWN cards ONLY. Please DO NOT
request cards for your neighbor. There will simply not be time to
handle the volume if everyone is asking for cards for more than one
callsign. Donations will be welcome at both locations.

Jim Smith, VK9NS/A52JS, continues to be active for the next two
weeks. Now with the A52A operation QRT, Jim seems to be more active
on SSB and the usual DX frequencies. He was spotted over the weekend
on 15 meters on 21295 kHz. "The Daily DX" reports that Jim has made
over 11,000 QSOs. Jim will head to the UK on May 26th. After his
visit there, he will then head to the U.S. to visit several places
within 10 days. (KB8NW/OPDX May 15/BARF-80 via John Norfolk, OKCOK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. RCI announced that effective immediately, the new
broadcasts to Africa at 0400 and 0600 are cancelled. Reason:
difficulty in getting a good signal into the target area (tho they
were using Skelton, Wertachtal and Vienna). Last broadcasts were UT
May 17 (Bill Westenhaver, PQ, DX LISTENING DIGEST, WORLD OF RADIO
1036)

** FRANCE. Fill music heard during RFI English SW broadcasts today
(Tuesday May 16). Announcement on RFI Web site says "certain programs
from RFI are currently unavailable on the http://www.rfi.fr Web site
because of a strike that began May 15 at 2300 UTC" (translated from
French by mc). Later: RFI in French carried its first announcement
about the strike at 1600 UTC today (Tuesday). It said there was a
strike of undetermined length over salary disparities. Have seen no
reference in French domestic news services to the strike (Mike
Cooper, Atlanta GA, DX LISTENING DIGEST, WORLD OF RADIO 1036)

Later later: RFI strike ended at 2200 UTC Wednesday evening May 17.
French-language newscasts led with references to end of a 48-hour
strike and said that programming would gradually return to normal.
Curiously, English-language broadcast today (Wednesday) was filled
with undated features instead of fill music. Rgds (Mike Cooper, GA,
[too late for WOR 1036], DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** IRAN [non]. Glenn: Radio Sedaye originates in L.A. but I do not
think it is on a standard broadcast channel. The calls KRSI belong to
a station in Saipan. However, Radio Sedaye Iran is heard on an FM
subcarrier of WAMU 88.5 in Washington DC. The channel is actually
passed through a speech inverter to prevent casual piracy from
unauthorized receivers. Occasionally one can hear English during a
"teen segment". (Tracy Wood, Sterling VA, May 16, DX LISTENING
DIGEST, WORLD OF RADIO 1036)

** LIBYA [non?] I am surprised that the shortwave community finally
noticed the connection about Mebo and Lockerbie. A few years ago CBS
60 minutes carried a long piece on tracking down the explosives. The
film crew interviewed the Mebo Electronics company president. When
the camera panned to the front door of the firm, one could clearly
see the name plate for "Radio Nordsee International" next to the Mebo
Electronics name plate. (I phoned Media Network over this item but
there was no follow up action on their part..) A regular listener via
Real Audio/WRN (Tracy Wood, Sterling, Virginia, May 16, DX LISTENING
DIGEST, WORLD OF RADIO 1036)

I happened to tune into the NPR program later, a one hour Radio Works
special with Bill Buzenburg from Minneapolis. Someone was
characterizing Mr. Bollier as not to be trusted (gh, DXLD)

** RUSSIA, Moscow. Vice Minister of publishing and public
communications of Russia Andrei Romanchenko calls to change a law on
seal so to beside West Radio stations possible was call licenses
back. On this it has reported in its interview to the agency
"Reuters". Romanchenko also considers that radio "Liberty" leads
"hostile activity against Russia". Particularly, Russian authorities
dislike that when illuminating the events in Chechnya, Radio
"Liberty" makes public multiple facts of breaking human rights and
other Russia laws and international rates of there. (Information
Agency "Lenta-RU", Russia). Best regards, (Pavel Mikhaylov via
Andreas Erbe via Kai Ludwig and Wolfgang Büschel, DXLD, WORLD OF
RADIO 1036)

** RUSSIA. Radio Tatarstan's external service, Voice of Tararstan
(Tatar: Tatarstan Awazy), started on 1st August 1997. The shortwave
frequencies are relayed from a high power transmitter at Samara and
have recently been confirmed by monitoring observations. Programming
is mainly in the Tatar language. News bulletins in Russian are
carried in most broadcasts on weekdays. Full broadcasts in Russian
are carried on Wednesdays during the 3rd transmission and on Thursdays
during the 1st and 2nd transmissions. Address: Radio Tatarstan,
Ulitsa M. Gorkovo 15, 420095 Kazan, Tatarstan (or PO Box 6134, Kazan
420136). Tel: +7 8432 552039, Fax: +7 8432 433191, E-mail:
root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [sic] Schedule: Daily 0400-0500 11665, 0600-0700
9690, unconfirmed at 0800-0900 on 252 and 11925 kHz (© BBC Monitoring
May 17, condensed by gh for DXLD, WORLD OF RADIO 1036)

** TIMOR EAST. Activity continues from this new entity. Antonio,
CT1EGH, seems to be the most active one as 4W6GH. He can usually be
found on 15 meters SSB between 1300-1600z, as late as 1830z. Thor,
TF1MM/4W6MM, has also been active on 15 meters CW/SSB usually around
the same time, maybe later. 4W6UN was active over the weekend on the
14245 DX net around 1630z. (KB8NW/OPDX May 15/BARF-80 via John
Norfolk, OKCOK, DX LISTENING DIGEST, WORLD OF RADIO 1036)

** WILLIS ISLAND. The Willis Island team arrived safely about 1500z
Friday, May 12th. Activity will last until May 30th. The team has
been very active on 20/15/10 meters on the usual DX frequencies.
However, as of early Sunday morning (EDT) spots for 160/80 meters
have been appearing on the locate Cluster. There is a correction to
last week's bulletin (OPDX.460) on the frequency Web page for this
operation. Please correct and clink on the right link to:
http://www.qsl.net/vk9wi/1freqs.htm

For updates/details, check the VK9WI Web page at:
http://www.qsl.net/vk9wi/ (KB8NW/OPDX May 15/BARF-80 via John
Norfolk, OKCOK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** WILLIS ISLAND. 13/5/00 2330 UTC

Yesterday's weather hampered efforts to get all stations on air.
Currently there is one 20/15/10 station running and the four
remaining crew members are hurriedly erecting antennae and assembling
the second HF station and the WARC station.

Also expect the AO-10 and 6M stations to be operational today.
The low-band station will be on from tonight using the Battlecreek
Special. The second 20/15/10 station will allow simultaneous SSB and
CW QSOs.

Eu please note, your comments re QRM on 3501 have been actioned. 80M
CW will now occur on 3.503.

Today is a lovely day on Willis, currently 27C, and a visibility on
30 km. The waters surrounding Willis are crystal clear, with a 60m
visibility. 73 from your pilots, Adam VK4CP & Bill G0VDE (Bill
RothWell, rec.radio.amateur.dx via KB8NW/OPDX May 15/BARF-80 via John
Norfolk, OKCOK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)                      ###