Re: [HCDX]: R.San Marino Intl. once again...

Re: [HCDX]: R.San Marino Intl. once again...

>Obviously, there is controversy with this approach.  The ARRL and other ham
>organizations sponsor DXpeditions to rocks in the ocean...just to get a new
>country...therefore this is exactly opposite the philosophy discussed.
>Hopefully, if a station, even tho how small, how temporary, is broadcasting
>for listening pleasure, the location of the transmitter should constitute
>where the station was broadcasting from!!  The studio doesn't matter--take
>some of the relays by VOA, BBC, etc.  Of course, everyone is entitled to
>his own opinion...
>
>Controversy is always fun, especiallly in this hobby.

Hams are usually counting their verified countries by the DXCC list. A
ham_s QSL from a country he does not have an official permission to
transmit from is worthless if you follow DXCC rules. So your example is not
the best argument for counting a pirate QSL for a new country.
But there are two different questions: How sure one can be that the Tx is
located in San Marino at all, and: Do you want to add QSLs from official
broadcasters, pirate stations and maybe Utility stations and hams (did I
forget something?) to one total sum of countries?

Of course, it is a hobby. So everybody is free to decide whether he counts
a RSMI-QSL as a new country for himself or not. The same is true for clubs
and their rules for diplomas.

I remember that several years ago, when I wanted to get a diploma for a
certain number of verified countries which had to be counted by the ADDX
country list, I waited until I had two countries more than necessary, as I
for myself did not want to accept the nonsense of dividing both the US and
the USSR into two parts (east - west; the now valid EDXC list counts
"correctly").

BTW: Counting the location of transmitters (which I do) instead of studios
sometimes means having less stations: For example the new stations on 828
and 1224 kHz from the Netherlands are transmitting from locations I already
got verified by former stations...

73s,
Willi