[HCDX]: Listening rresults from Northern California

[HCDX]: Listening rresults from Northern California

I recently bought back my Watkins-Johnson HF-1000 from the friend I sold
it to, and decided to totally upgrade my listening post. I was entranced
by reports of very much improved listening conditions and decided to
return to this great hobby.

I have on order the Sherwood SE-3 and if the remarks about this unit are
as accurate as the rest of the material I read on the HF-1000 in the
Passport 2000, I am sure I will be more than pleased. I have had an
Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper antenna laying under the house in storage for
almost four years. It has been hauled out and installed with the top end
about 60 feet of the ground in, and the bottom about 15 feet above the
ground in nearby pine trees.

I was astounded by the improved reception on the HF-1000. If nothing
else, the shielded antenna totally removes any interference from my
nearby PC. I am routinely hearing stations I once dreamed about, such as
several Mid East transmitters [Kuwait, Egypt, Jordan] and signals from
India. The reception of PNG is also enhanced. I had bought the 60 foot
long version to help with 90 and 120 meter stations, and it sure works.
Before using the shielded antenna I had discounted, for the most part,
the “noise” problems with the old HF-1000. I had eliminated [?] a lot of
this problem by taking my audio from the headphone jack. Nevertheless
the improved “noiseless” signals I get now made me eat a very healthy
portion of crow! I still have a 150 ft inverted “L” 100 feet above the
ground connected to my old reliable NRD-525. A/B antenna comparison
tests with Alpha Delta proved devastating to the beloved inverted “L”.

I also noted with pleasure Glenn Hauser’s remarks earlier this year
regarding precision RF measurement. I have routinely been measuring RF’s
with plus/minus 0ne Hz precision since I bought the HF-1000 shortly
after it came on the market. I originally purchased a real low cost
Rubidium frequency standard and locked the HF-1000 to this external
reference. I continue to keep results of my measurements of tropicals,
the signals I find most enhanced in terms of ID by such measurements, in
a Microsoft Access data base. I am now using a quartz crystal frequency
standard, which costs a lot less than the Rubidium did [it eventually
burned itself out]. The quartz works fine and I verify all results by
using WWV to calibrate just before I measure the RF.  RF measurement is
done by “free running” an oscilloscope trace at 750 Hz, then putting the
receiver in CW mode with a 750 Hz offset and tuning the receiver till a
single sine wave is stopped on the oscilloscope trace. If there is any
doubt about the measurement, I take the receiver bandwidth down to 56 Hz
hopefully eliminating any ghostly “heterodynes” or other embarrassing
“anomalies” that can put egg on your face.

I also use a Singer Spectrum Analyzer [Model MF-5] with a 455 kHz
Panoramic Ultrasonic [Module UR-3] pre-amplifier. The 455 kHz receiver
IF goes directly to the input. Trust me, you can see with absolutely no
doubt, the presence of signals that are effectively inaudible! I bought
five of these units, some with 10.7 mHz pre-amps, for about $220 total
from a friend,. I keep one, or more running, by pirating parts as
needed.

I also purchased the Ergo control software. I can’t get it to work, and
will have to find out why I can’t “talk” to the HF-1000. Hope it is
something simple!

I’m using the Klingenfuss 1998 CD-ROM database, which is incredibly
useful. I have the Klingenfuss 2000 version on order, so will be even
more pleased with its utility.

I routinely record all signals on a Sony DAT TCD-D7 digital tape
recorder. This is great for SWL as it automatically provides a date/time
record of exactly what was present from the receiver output.

I also note, with pleasure, that all sorts of listening aids such as
spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc. are often to be found at
excellent prices on eBay

Well all this means nothing if you don’t report something, so here goes:

3/20/2000

All ID’s based on typical reception patterns, Passport 2000 or
Klingenfuss 1998 CD-ROM, or station’s ID [if given].

5995.006 R. Australia [Brandon] 1018Z

2410.001 R. Enga [Wabag] PNG 1019Z male announcer playing typical island
music; SINPO 25242; at 1040Z still there with more island music; at
12:30Z completely gone.

7269.952 R. Malaysia [Srawak Kuching] ; 1028 peppy music female with
chorus interspersed with male announcer; -85 dBm; SINPO 43443; ID at
1030Z with time pips; presumably language Iban. Still present and quite
listenable at 12:45Z.

3204.966 R. Sandaun [Vanimo] PNG guitar and island music; SINPO 35343.
I’ve checked for this signal for the last few days, and usually nothing
is there. I’m surpassed that the RF is so far off the mark. This is NOT
normal for PNG stations which are normally close to “on frequency”, i.e.
within about 4 Hz. ID heard at 11:00:50Z with typical drum beat followed
by female announcer.

12085.010 V. of Mongolia [Ulan Bator]  1113Z best heard in USB at 2.8
kHz bandwidth; 1119Z female announcer heard; 1120Z female singing
typical Chinese [?] song, presumably praising her tractor or meeting her
production quota for the joy of the people.

2309.999 R. Australia [Alice Springs] with music at 1146Z; checks for
Tennant Creek and Katherine unproductive.

2360.033 R. Maya de Barillas [presumably] Huehuetenango, Guatemala;
guitar music; SINPO 25232; this is supposedly a 250 watt station!

3344.782 RRI Ternate [Maluku], Indonesia male and females singing
animated pop tune; 1232Z “Moulin Rouge” [I think] being played.

4890.003 Port Moresby, PNG with news in English at 1300Z. Some weirdo
yowling what sounds like “Diane, Diane, Diane” ad infinitum and ad
nauseum, in background. Oh, good news, China [PRC brand] has just been
reported on the news as promising PNG eternal love and friendship. PNG
better vote right and not find and disputed oil supplies off shore if
they want the adoration to continue.

5925.000 V. of Vietnam 1317Z male in Vietnamese [monologue] ; QRM from
IS at 1327Z.

Now hearing India on 11619.997 KHz at 1343Z. Time to go!

Thomas B. Roach
Somewhere in the Sierra mountain foothills
PGP key upon request